Chang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chang Mai is in the most Northern part of Thailand. Unlike the busy and hectic lifestyle of Bangkok, Chang mai lays claim to it’s relaxed nature. The city is surrounded by an historic moat and defensive wall due to early Burman invasions.

We booked into a relatively cheap hotel off the main road that cost in the region of £4 each per night. The nighlife in chang mai was extremly popular with the locals and oppertunites to meet travellers seemed quite scarce. Taking part in a one day tour however allowed us to meet travellers. We were up early and were transported via mini bus to a butterfly sanctuary, bamboo rafted along a peaceful river, white water rafted down a rapid river, trekked up a jungle mountain to swim at the bottom of a waterfall and rode elephants. An incredible day that fitted just about everything we could imagine into the space of 12 hours.
We also visited the famous night market that stretches a lengthy way down the main road. People sell everything from fruit shakes to musical instruments.
It's funny, everywhere you go in Thailand, you find locals who exploit tamed animals by getting photos of the public with them then charging you for an instant photo. In Chang Mai, they go a little further than the traditional lizard, monkey or even eagle. They were dragging an elephant around road side bars, in attempt to get the public's attention and thus money.
On our final day, we visited the Chang Mai zoo. It plays host to many animals including pandas and crocodiles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb