Jungle Adventures


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Stephanie? No Stephan! Stephanie? No Stephan! A Thai trek guide was picking up a French tourist and Luke, a Brit I met on the overnight train to Chiang Mai, bright and early in the morning. I decided to tag along on the treking adventure. We had a Sunday afternoon before we took off and took in the Sunday market that included excellent food, plenty of trinkets, clothes, and even a beauty contest. We skipped out on the latter. Being out of Bangkok and the relentless barage of husslers is great. Walking down the street and politely saying no is a far cry from having your head down walking quickly and ingnoring countless vendors. Chiang Mai is a city in northern Thailand that is known for the treking adventures in the nearby national park. The day of our trek we were wakened by a pounding on the door next to ours to get a Dutch guy out of bed that stumbled in at 5am the previous night tagging along some unwanted company (ladyboy). He finally sobered up two days later, but still hold his head high. Our guide, the self proclaimed coming of Captain Jack Sparrow would not let down this down for the next two days, and many jokes were made on his behalf. The hiking was not too difficult, and included hiking through a downpoor, elephant rides, bamboo rafting, and a few amazing waterfalls. I bonded with a few younger british travelers and some swiss and german folk that all spoke broken english. It makes one feel quite ignorant not knowing two or three languages conversationally. Overall the adventures were amazing outside of smashing my elbow while jumping through a waterfall and slipping on a few other rocks. I guess it comes with the terretory, and it was well worth the bruises. Today we were planning on heading closer to the Laos border on bus to start a slow boat adventure down to Luang Prabang. Hopefully I got on my scrapes and bruises out of the way.

Advertisement



21st June 2010

Spanish
Hat looks good, AJ. Remember your Senora K. Espanol when in doubt. caballo = horse, cabello = hair

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb