Made it Out of Bangkok, but.....


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 25th 2010
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tim, Jaime and NedTim, Jaime and NedTim, Jaime and Ned

The four of us on their honeymoon.
So I have left the sweltering heat of the beautiful beaches of Thailand for the hills of the Chiang Mai. But first we had to make a quick stop in Bangkok. And I am sure all of you have been watching the news, it was a very different scene now than it was when I was there just 3 weeks ago. But I made some friends during the wait and we all made it out unscathed, or so we thought.

During my 30 hour train ride from Ko Tao to Chiang Mai I had made 3 new friends, Jaime, Tim and Ned all American’s…YEAH! Tim and Jaime just happened to be on their honeymoon but that didn’t stop me interjecting myself into their travels.

After a good night’s sleep at our amazing hotel in the old town of Chiang Mai we set off the next day to see the sites. Chiang Mai unlike Bangkok or the southern beaches is much calmer and prettier. The locals are extremely nice and willing to help, guide and tell you their opinion of the conflict that is going on in their country, so we had no problem feeling right at home. We stumbled
Buh Bye ThailandBuh Bye ThailandBuh Bye Thailand

On our way over to Laos....
upon a school/monastery on the back end of town, it was cool watching the young monks talk on their cell phones and tweet on their computers, kids will be kids wherever you are. The garden at the school was full of wise and insightful mind provoking sayings, we stayed there for a while just reading all of the things we should be doing in life.

We continued on despite being told on numerous occasions that behind the school was where the Red Shirts of Chiang Mai had set up camp, but we were curious as to what the vibe was like so we continued on. We ended up walking right through the camp, it was much more like a red shirt picnic then a protest, with grills going, what looked like soap operas on the TV’s and of the course a loud speaker with the movements opinions and views being broadcast, it was kind of like a big family reunion kind of vibe. We were definitely looked at by the locals with raised eyebrows but again with smiles.

Went to the night market for dinner which was just rows and rows of merchandise stalls selling everything from Johnny
The whole chickenThe whole chickenThe whole chicken

they waste nothing here.
Walker to Gucci to handmade Thai wooden carvings, pretty cool.

The next day we went to try our hands at a Thai cooking school. We wanted to get the full experience so we choose an organic cooking school (thanks Deb) out in the country about an hour’s drive north of the city. Our first stop was the market were they had all of the produce, fruits, vegetables and spices for any Thai dish you would want to make. It made you think twice about having fish. One minute they are swimming in the tank the next they are being smacked on the ground “Sushi” anyone. But it was a very cool experience to see all the different spices, rice’s and how the locals shop for their dishes.

Once at the farm, we were taken out into the garden to sample the freshly grown lemongrass, basil, long beans, chili’s and a variety of different amazingly smelling spices. Now it is time to get to cooking.

Many of you know I don’t cook in the states and there is a reason for that. First off I am my father’s daughter, I can fix anything; change a tire, spackle a
The Calm Before the FIRE....The Calm Before the FIRE....The Calm Before the FIRE....

I was so happy with myself for doing this class...
wall, or change your oil but in learning all of these things I was rarely in the kitchen with my mom who is an amazing cook, I think she knew where my strengths and weaknesses were. So we are given our assigned spaces and ingredients, utensils and we are off. I made it through the first few dishes no problem. The last one involved using a Wok, Oil and an open flame…you see where I’m going. We were instructed on how to produce a small fire for the effect of looking cool…well you know I don’t follow instructions very well or do anything “normal” and this was no exception. We were told to put the oil in, put in a strip of chicken then add a few drops of water to produce a flame (a small flame). No problems, so I have the oil nice and hot- it’s smoking, then I add the water oh about a table spoon or so….(if you are keeping up the chicken strip as been omitted which is used to break up the water and oil to calm the fire)….the first 2-3 seconds nice big flame, seconds 4-10 the fire is a bit out of control I start backing up from my station, seconds 10-15 I have hit the wall and the flame has engulfed me and my fellow class mates aren’t sure whether to keep on peeing themselves or run over with baking soda and a tarp. The fire finally went out but only after both my instructors where on the floor crying the rest of my class was doubled over in laughing fits (now that they knew I wasn’t going to send the building up in flames) and I was named for the rest of the day “Big Fire”.

We finished the class after consuming all of our dishes; I have to say I did pretty well. Don’t expect me to start cooking when I get home, but I did learn a few things to make a house party supper fun.

So we headed back to town, we noticed the traffic was insane, but we passed the time talking to other folks that were in our class, but as we were approaching an intersection we notices plumes of black smoke which has been a tell tale sign of the Red Shirts. It was a small fire set near one the bridges.
My First Attempt at feeding....My First Attempt at feeding....My First Attempt at feeding....

I get much better as they day goes on...I got good enough to even put the food directly into their mouth, OK that took a few tries....
The opposition leader in Bangkok had just surrendered and this was their way of keeping the fight going. But again it was peaceful nothing to worry about. We got back to the hotel changed and found out that to keep the peace they had set a mandatory curfew for the city. So we decided to stay close to the hotel for dinner.

We found a nice restaurant right across the square that had everything we needed. Once we had ordered our waitress came over and said “we have problem, you need to get your food to go” we were all scratching our heads since we had a good 1 ½ before the curfew started, then we LOOKED outside. There were 3 or 4 tires right outside the front doors on fire, SHIT are you serious. A crowd was starting to gather then a garbage can was put on top the smoke was now black. 5 minutes later a cop rolls up and tosses a tear gas canister on the street that start wafting in the restaurant, Tim thought it was a fire extinguisher but we later found out that it was indeed tear gas….again SHIT what have we gotten
The babies and their family..The babies and their family..The babies and their family..

they really were the cutes things around.
ourselves into. We try to pay and then the owner of the place tells us to get to our hotel and we were like our hotel is on the other side of the nonsense’s. We run across the square like the Red Army was right behind us, after getting to the other side and stopping at 7-11 for dinner we checked the scene again and it was totally under control. We were relived but so bummed because we really wanted our dinner. Ned happened to stay and have dinner the 3 of us wimped out ran for our lives and ended up with 7-11 ham and cheese (poor vegetarian Jaime had Lays).

We headed back played some cards and relived the story with others in the hotel, it was a good night.

The next morning we headed to an elephant conservatory, about an hour outside of the city. We did some serious research on the many elephant camps and parks and decided on this one has it was built specifically to help Thai elephants that have been abused or hurt doing domestic work.

Our first task was to feed these huge gentle giants, with cucumbers, pumpkins and
Lak and the baby GirlLak and the baby GirlLak and the baby Girl

She was so protective of her it was so interesting seeing these animals know and understand that their lives are better because of her.
squash. At first it was a bit nerve racking as their trunks are SUPPER strong and sensitive, but after a while you get the hang of it. The highlight is when they get sick of you being timid and just grab the whole basket and dump it all out with an attitude of “I weigh 6 tons stop feeding me one damn cucumber at a time”.
After that we are taking down to the actual yard where they hang out so we can get up close and personal with them, it was the most amazing experience. There were 2 babies there one little girlswho was a year and half and her brother who was a year old. Like any toddlers the little girl was patient with us and we could get right up to her, the little boy on the other hand was a hand full and was always looking to cause some trouble. We learned very quickly that elephants are just like humans when their babies cry for whatever reason they will all rush over to see what the deal is. So the little boy and the 50 dogs that were at the camp didn’t get along and a
Giving Big Sis A hugGiving Big Sis A hugGiving Big Sis A hug

Their skin is soft and hard at the same time.
small argument started …well that was an alarm to the 5 or 6 family members in the area to come and check out the situation. This will get your heart pumping like nothing else especially when you realize that you are standing just a few feet away from the little loud ass little boy.

Next we were lead into the river to bathe them. This was the coolest. Watching them roller over, spray themselves and just frolic with each other. We couldn’t take enough pictures. They gave us kisses after their baths, it was like no other kiss you’ve ever had and one that you are sure to always remember. They could suck your face off and yet they are so incredibly gentle.

We met Lak the creator and owner of the farm; she has saved these 31 elephants from land mind injuries, broken backs, abuse, street begging and countless other cruelties. She is wonderful with them and they all seem to love her unconditionally. She was sitting on the ground feeding and singing to the little girl and as we were approaching her she started to get protective of her by constantly moving over her (Lak is
Our Slow Boats...Our Slow Boats...Our Slow Boats...

These are our slow boats on the Mekong River....
about 4’11 and fits just under the elephant) it was the sweetest thing. I am considering heading back there for about a month to help out; I literally fell in love while I was there. I think anyone that goes will leave feeling differently about zoo’s and parks. You learn that animals like these aren’t suppose to tamed, ridden or doing tricks and to do so they have to break them and in doing that it breaks their spirits, it was enjoyable seeing them just being themselves and not around for our entertainment.

After that amazing day which was great but exhausting we decided it was onto our next destination. So we packed our bags and headed to Laos. We did a 7 hour bus ride to the boarder and crossed over in the country Laos. We thought Thailand was cheap Laos is even cheaper; our hotel was $3 a night.

We then took a slow boat down the Mekong River. Day one was about 7 hour journey on wooden benches, you can get very creative with card games and cushion on such a trip. We stayed overnight in a small river side village half way to Luang
On top of the world In Luang PrabangOn top of the world In Luang PrabangOn top of the world In Luang Prabang

Me, Tim Jaime and Ben, the shine is the sweat!
Prabang. Day 2 another 7 hours journey and we have finally made it to the city of LP, Laos. And from what we can tell just the most beautiful city in the middle of nowhere. I could live here.

So that is where I am today. Soon the three of us will be heading to dinner, Tim, Jaime and our new friend Ben from the UK. I have to make it known that my trip has been great so far as I have seen some beautiful places and things and experienced things I never thought I would, but meeting Jaime and Tim has been the true highlight so far. Three people are now on their honeymoon; these will make for some great stories for their kids some day.

Until out next stop.

Ciao
Nic




Advertisement



26th May 2010

cooking
I am crying, I am laughing so hard over the cooking. OMG Nic, what a riot you are. You're new friends sound awsome, and how great to have someone to count on and talk to thru your adventures. Love and Gob Keep you. Until the next entry. I am thinking , maybe you should become a travel person, you know, the one who experiences all travel and then writes a book and has her own tv station? What do you think? Mamma P
28th May 2010

So cool
I wish that I could of seen your fire trick! Opa ! Isn't that the sang is Greek. Now I'm so jealous, the elephants must of been such a treat for you, smart animals. I always check everyday to see if you have updates ! I simply love it! Chao

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb