trout? grout? gout!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 17th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hellooo again... So right now we're in Chiang Mai, Thailand. we updated our pics... te last two entries have lots more. We'll add some here later!

A few days ago, we decided to leave Luang Prabang, and, unfortunately, Laos! What a cool country... so anyways, we opted for the "slow boat" to Thailand... cool 2 days of scenery, plus, it was a lot cheaper than the flights! The boat was okay... a long wooden thing with some benches and a fewww nicer chairs. the scenery on the Mekong was quite neat, althought it didn't really change much the entire trip.... Sand, mountains, burning agriculture, and little bamboo-hut villages along the river. Elephants were being used along the river to cart around logs, and a few dead bodies were actually seen just floating down the river! Tasty! So, it turned out that Sare's pink eye was an allergic reaction to the crummy air around Luang Prabang and the mountains we drove through... the hilltribe villages use slash and burn agriculture, and in the dry season, the air's just baaad. Apparently even some of the locals get burning, watery eyes. Ouuuuuch. So the pink-eye faded as we were on the boat trip! No more fuzzy vision! Amazing!

We stayed overnight in Pakbeng. That was interesting... it's a town on the Mekong. No electricity, and the generators only go on from about 6:00 - 10:30. Many restaurants were only candle-lit... pretty cool! Evan found a horrid old guitar at a shop, and drew quite the audience of lao youth while trying to tune it. Musssst find a proper guitar!!! That night, our room was a taad more sketchy than what we'd become accostomed to, i guess... So many tokay geckos under the floor... super-cool! But we also shared a room with a rat or two... they ate all of Sarah's peanut clusters!!! Gah! And we couldn't really turn on the light to scare them... there was no light! Oh well... you get what you pay for... and our room was like 3 bucks. haha.


The next day, on the boat again, was pretty rad! Our boat was a lot more basic than the day before... so a bunch of us ditched our wooden-bench seats and ended up congregating on the bow of the boat for the 10 hour trip. Twas rad. A bunch of Canadians, actually... some of tem our age! Wahoo! and a couple from France who had been traveling for two and a half yearrrrs! That's amazing. And most of it on bikes, also! So that day was awesome... very chill. Some fun people!

That night, our boat was late, so we didnt make the border crossing... had to stay in Huay Xai for a night. It was alright though... we'd have to pay an annoying visa-overstay charge, but we had a great dinner and last beer lao's with everyone from the boat! The french people had goose-liver from home. Ick. Fun...

So the next day, we crossed the border to Thailand!!! Wahoo! And what a change it was! Thailand is so... modern! Wow... So diffffferent compared to Laos... but such a rad place. Our bus ride to Chiang Mai was okay... except Sarah's foot started getting incredibly painful. Very very incredibly painful. So we went to the hospital, got some x-rays... Sarah has gout. Or grout. The thing old men get, usually. So that's fun.... Got some medication, injections... but walking is impossible. Evan gives piggy-backs everywhere! And our friend Erin from the boat also gives piggy-backs! Apparently, you can't rent crutches here! Whateverrr... So Sarah's a bit of a cripple. But we love Chiang Mai! Went to see a live Thai Reggae Band at the Roots Rock Reggae Bar. RAD!!!! and we saw some cool late-night fire-throwing/dancing. Thailand is so very rad-tacular, indeed... We love it. The Pad Thai here is super-awesome. RAD! More later.

HAPPY ST PARTICKS DAY!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



18th March 2006

Thailand
Gout! poor Sarah - looks like you inherited the Youngson curse! I hope it clears up soon or Evan's back will be broken. Just got back late last night from skiing in Vermont so have not been in touch but am now catching up. Loved your blog on Luang Prabang and the amazing pictures. ( Could have done without the closeup of your eye though). Is the Pad Thai even better than mine? Take care, esp. of your foot!miss you guys!! MOM
18th March 2006

EV AND SAR!
finally realizing how to use this website! OH MY GOSH YOUR STORIES AND PICTURES ARE INCREDIBLE guys! thanks for the little note ev, i miss you brotha! it sounds like there isnt anything that can hold this hot travelling couple back, not even grout! im in love with costa rica...and maybe with my whole group of YCI canadians too. i think we´re both doing very different travelling, im in awe of your style in asia.,...the pictures and stories really paint a clear pic in my mind of what you´re up to. great to know we´ll all be kickin back to a beer on my back porch in several months.... loving and missin ya! XOOXO HILS
18th March 2006

Wow!
Hey Ev (and Sarah). I am amazed by your pictures and fascinated by your stories. It sounds like you are having the time of your lives. What an incredible opportunity! I'm sorry to hear about Sarah's gout - that can't be too comfortable. I hope you plan on sharing all of your photos when you return - I have to live vicariously through someone. Take care and enjoy. I look forward to you next entries. Lauchy
20th March 2006

yo
hey guys, glad to see that you're still having a blast. congrats to sarah on getting gout, good to see that it's not just for eighteenth century old men anymore, way to diversify. well at least you can see again. love the pics, keep 'em comin.
20th March 2006

Old man feet eh
Hey guys, hope your enjoyin your trip so far. I lovin your pictures of everything and I hope sarahs camera doesn't get punked too... Its pretty sweet that a bunch of us are all branching out and going on sick trips and work vacations and even though the good old Greensville is sweet.... it really just doesn't compare. Thats awesome that you got to rock out with a thai reggae band, that musta been pretty damn sweet. Only wish I were there top pick up an axe or bust out a deck and add to the beat. Anyways have a good one guys and i'll see you back in town in a few months...... Peace
7th April 2006

Oh my
Hello, I'm glad Thi is modern. The trip continues to look amazing. We just returned from Jenny's wedding in sunny and hot CUBA. It was lots of fun. Maclean went parasailing - maybe he will follow in your foot steps one day. Those buddah's look neat. Have you bought any? The picture of the elephants is soo cool. Keep well and take care of your foot.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb