Sunday May 17, 2009


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We went to the Sacred Heart Cathedral and attended the 8:30am mass in Thai. We had no idea what they were saying, but we recognized the parts of the mass so I assume that counts as going to mass=) Next we stopped at a little coffee shop for breakfast and some iced mochas, yum! Next we hopped on our scooter and headed back into the mountainous jungle to try our luck on riding elephants again. We were in luck, the Chiang Mai elephant camp was open and we got to ride a 42 year old elephant for an hour and then we watched an elephant show. The show consisted of elephants playing harmonicas, twirling hula hoops, painting pictures and playing soccer. After feeding the elephants a bunch of bananas and sugar cane we waited out the torrental downpour in the elephant camp nursery playing with a 4 year old. Once the rain subsided, we headed to a roadside restaurant and had the best Thai food I have ever tasted. It was like $2 for both our meals. Next we went to the monkey school and watched a monkey show. The monkeys performed several tricks for us such as riding bikes, doing math, playing basketball and posing with us for pictures. After a fun filled day of adventures we returned the scooter and headed to the Sunday Walking street (voted one of the top four shopping experiences in Asia) which had a variety of folk crafts, food, music and some dancing. It was a more cultural laid back version of the night bazaar. Most of the vendors of the crafts are the ones who made them so it was very neat to look at everything. We bought some silk pillow cases, some silk fabric, some paper laterns, and a small handmade fishing stick with paper fish on it just so Camden could take a picture of the cute little old lady in the wheel chair who made them=)



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb