Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 19th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Zip-Lining 10 secs
Walking Street MarketWalking Street MarketWalking Street Market

Open only on Sunday nights when they close of a few blocks of the city, this is one of Chiang Mai’s most famous attractions.
For the last few days we have been in Chiang Mai, a bustling yet manageable city that has just about everything a tourist is looking for. On our first day we knocked out just about all the major sightseeing points of interest by visiting the areas’ famous temples, the ruins of Old City, and some of the shops where the best local handicrafts are made like jade jewelry and teak wood carving. That day was capped off as usual with a visit to the local market and a stroll through the Night Bazaar. We participated in a full day of Thai Cooking School, where Betty made Spring Rolls and Chiang Mai Curry Noodles and I made Hot and Sour Soup with Prawns, just to name a few. That night we hit up a couple bars and drank too much Thai whiskey before catching a tuk-tuk back to the hotel. The following day we took a trip to the rainforest and zip-lined and repelled from tree-top to tree-top while taking in some amazing views of the jungle. We made it back to the hotel in one piece and took it easy that evening, since this morning was an early one to the airport for our flight to Bangkok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Paying RespectPaying Respect
Paying Respect

Give three incense sticks and two lit candles followed by three bows, one for Buddah, one for his teachings, and one for all the past monks.
MonksMonks
Monks

At Wat Suan Dok.
Wat Suan DokWat Suan Dok
Wat Suan Dok

Chiang Mai has over 300 temples!
Wat Chedi LiamWat Chedi Liam
Wat Chedi Liam

In Old City.
Extreme Close-UpExtreme Close-Up
Extreme Close-Up

Whoooaaaooohhh!
Inside a Temple in Old CityInside a Temple in Old City
Inside a Temple in Old City

The good luck strings represent continuity, so while praying a monk holds one end and everyone else holds another.
NagaNaga
Naga

Snake with seven heads shields Buddah from the wind, rain, and outside influences while meditating.
Insect Buffet at the Local MarketInsect Buffet at the Local Market
Insect Buffet at the Local Market

I tried the silk worm, bamboo worm, grasshopper, and a few others that I cannot remember the names of.
Cewebwation!Cewebwation!
Cewebwation!

Awesome house band at a riverside bar.
Tuk TukTuk Tuk
Tuk Tuk

Our ride home from a night at the bars with our new Canadian friends, Dave and Loni.
Scrotum WedgieScrotum Wedgie
Scrotum Wedgie

Outfitted for zip-lining through the jungle.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb