Temples, Tuk-Tuks and Thai Boxing


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bangkok - Chiang Mai


Dinner on Khao San RoadDinner on Khao San RoadDinner on Khao San Road

We had to see what all the fuss was about on Khao San road and here is our first beer of the night.

Day 1 - Bangkok



After quite a pleasant flight from Heathrow (apart from the odd elbow war with the French guy next to us) we stepped out to a rather civilized Bangkok airport and got a taxi off to our rather basic hostel in the Silom District - the financial hub of the city. We were soon advised that taxis where the best way to get around and a long as you stick to the right colour then they are really cheap. So we made our way to the train station as by this time it was 6.30 on a Sunday night, and bought several train tickets to get us around the country over the next few weeks. The only problem being that there was no space on the sleeper up to Chiang Mai for the following evening so we had to get a 'regular' train for the 12 hour trip.
After our mixed success at the station our stomachs were rumbling and we set out in search of the famous Khao San Road for sum grub. We found a nice little place for a fews jars of beer and our first taste of Thai food; then walked up and
Bankok SkylineBankok SkylineBankok Skyline

The Bangkok skyline at night taken from the Moon Bar on the 59th floor of the Vertigo hotel.
down the strip. We then decided to have another drink in a rather make-shift little cafe on the road side (with our seats being stalls and the pleasure of a rat that decided to join us!) and by this time it was midnight. We had heard of the amazing views from the Sky-Scraper bars at night so headed back to Silom in search of one. Unfortunately we were in breach of their dress code but they lent us the various items of clothing required (including some rather over sized trousers for Jimmy). We had a pleasent time (HUGE contrast to the road side "bar") spending the rest of the evening on the 59th floor of the Vertigo hotel with an amazing view and cool breeze before walking home.

Day 2 - Bangkok


Luckily we couldn't check out until 10am which meant we had an excuse not to get up too early before exploring the city by day. We headed to the river via the sky train (monorail). We then got a long tail boat up the river to the north of the city where the Grand Palace is located. Although we were advised on several occasions that the
The Reclining BuddhaThe Reclining BuddhaThe Reclining Buddha

The giant Reclining Buddha at What Pho in Bangkok
Palace was not open, and that we should go to the Big Buddha - we found the Palace well and truly open and spent a good few hours (with many sit-downs!) exploring the many colourful exhibits in the grounds and the various temples including seeing the famous Emerald Buddha.
Afterwards we went to What Pho to see the reclining buddha which is huge and I don't think the photo does it justice. By this time it was about 3.30pm and we had pretty much wilted in the heat so we went back through the rush hour traffic - it took 50 mins- to Silom. We grabbed some food from a trusty french bakery and then collected our belongings which took quite a long time due to Anna and Phil losing the key to their bags (their bags remaining chained to the racks) then we headed back to Hualamphong Train Station to get the night train to Chiang Mai. We had a VERY discusting experience during the taxi ride back to the station - lets just say the BCG came in handy!
First impressions of the train were good - with comfy leather seats that reclined pretty far. However, after 3 hours it felt like it should have been at least 8 hours into the journey and I think Rob won the award for least sleep - listening to his MP3 player the whole time! I think I can safely say I had the worst toilet experience EVER, and I have definitely not mastered the squat toilet on a moving train!

Day 3 - Chiang Mai


We arrived in Chiang Mai at 8.30am and managed to get a sawngthaew (an open truck thingy) to our guest house which was quite a fun ride. We had some long overdue showers; a day sightseeing in Bangkok in the harsh heat, followed by a 12 hour train journey really puts your personal hygeine to the test! After that we had some lunch at the guest house and planned our trek for the following day. Then we (apart from Jimmy who wasn't feeling too great) headed off into the heat of the afternoon to investigate the old town of Chiang Mai and visit the various temples and a museum. There was a rather interesting exhibit with a taped recording of an american bloke talking about the history of the city. However, it included
Hualamphong Train StationHualamphong Train StationHualamphong Train Station

Waiting for our night train to Chiang Mai at Hualamphong Station in Bangkok.
great moments such as getting the Kings name wrong and correcting himself plus admitting that the end of the script was not finished and so made up the last few sentences. He must of been on a "once only" fee and the museums propriators obviously didn't feel like paying for his services. Definitely a nice touch to the museum!
Once we were "templed out" we had some dinner and then headed to the "stadium" to watch some Muay Thai or Thai Boxing to you and me. This place was not exactly Wembley Stadium or not even Vicarage Road but it had some nice perks such as about 12 Go-Go bars in the venue and more Ladyboys than you could count. I think the girls were more interested in people watching than the boxing. Well, until the Fatal Four Way Blindfolded Elimination match which is probably the best way to name this particular type of match - absolutely crazy! The night was a real eye-opener and should of ended here but there was one more sting in the tail.....a tuk tuk ride home from hell with Katie, which was driven by some mad tiny Thai chap who had toretts. We have vowed never to use one again.


Advertisement



4th February 2009

Jealous? Not at all ;-)
Sounds like you have had a great first week. I have exactly the same photo infront of the reclining Buddha but I'm about 13 in the photo hehe. Can't wait to read the next entry. Lots of love Lorn xx
4th February 2009

hehehe
well i am glad to hear that u guys r having fun! I hope u use ur medicinal equipment generously! Very jealous and looking fwd to more updates! take care, Mike
11th February 2009

your blogs all look very exciting... glad ur still having fun. watch out for those dodgy bridges. jealousy still ooozing! x

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb