We love Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 31st 2009
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Chiang Mai at 6.00am, welcomed by the slightly cooler temperature and the first deserted street seen since we left the UK. We had been tipped off by a friendly traveller on our first night in Bangkok, that the place to stay was Julie's Guesthouse, just inside the old city walls. As we had arrived so early we were second in line for a room and so grabbed ourselves a twin bedroom with shared bathroom for 140B a night, about 1.50 pounds each. As we waited for our room to be prepared we walked around the old city to see some of the temple's mentioned in the guides. What hit us straight away was the difference in the attitudes of the locals. We met a really friendly Thai outside Wat Phra Singh who chatted to us for about 15 minutes, clearly with no intention to send us on a tuk-tuk ride or charge us for information. He even gave me some of his breakfast. We spent that evening getting to know people at the hostel, and exploring the bars in the city.

We decided to spend the second day exploring the Pasang region, which is the specialist cloth and silk weaving part of Chiang Mai. Even though I spent most of the time worrying myself that I was turning into my Dad, I couldn't help but enjoy my time in Pasang. It's exactly the kind of thing I would have hated if we'd done it on a family holiday, but for some reason, perhaps as we'd decided to see it, we actually had some fun.

The Third day was spent visiting Wat U Mong, I've realised that never gets less funny to say. However, it was pretty spectaular, set in the jungle outside of Chiang Mai I spent the day singing tunes from The Legend of Zelda. Got some good photo's.

Met up with Chris P (doggy) the next day. There was a very exciting "Top Gear moment" as I saw the pooch looking pretty bemused trying to cross the road, as Isaac had gone to get his phone I even had a beer for him. The moment was made more special due to the realisation that he would be able to pay us for the trekking we had booked up for him for the next day.

Trekking all in all was fantastic. Two years of no sport and all pub made the three and a half our uphill walk a little more difficult than anticipated. The first swim in the waterfall was like errr..... a very very refreshing thing. We were trekking with a Canadian brother and sister, Rob and Shannon. Shannon managed to accidently disturb a wasps nest, suddenly my fatigue left me and putting Forest Gump to shame I pegged it. Our guide, Tony (Montana), enjoyed repeating the story despite the fact we were all there. However, the sweaty walk and wasp ordeal was all worth it for the spectacular view and the most beautiful night sky I have ever seen. We spent the second day trekking back down the hills and swimming and dodging funnel webbed spiders. We "slept" in the wooden huts by the rapids which was an interesting decision by Tony Montana, so we could get up early for Elephant Trekking, White Water Rafting, and Bamboo Rafting the next day.

I would say that part of the reason we enjoyed Chiang Mai was that we found our home away from home. Santia's Yellow Bird Cafe was our dwelling spot from our second night in Chiang Mai. Santia has literally just opened up the front room of her house and allowed access to her computer and lounge beds. We stayed there chatting to her, Ning and Tip aswell as other likeminded travellers, including one renowned local philosopher who tried to interpret Isaac's dream about Barrack Obama playing in goal for an American soccer team. Me, Thaisaac and Crispy had a lot of fun teaching Ning to say various phrases, including Crispy doggy, Crazy Mo-Fo and Wanker. During the days Santia taught us to cook a total of five Thai dishes and I helped Ning take to cat to the vet on the back of her scooter. That was terrifying. It was horrible having to say goodbye, depending on the re-entry visa situation we may go back to visit again.

Miss you all lots, Matt and Isaac x


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Leaving Chian MaiLeaving Chian Mai
Leaving Chian Mai

Left to right: Doggy Dog (wants scooby snacks), Ning, Arnold, Tip, Isaac, Santia, Matty


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb