Chiang Mai 29th - 1st


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 29th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we arrive in Chiang Mai which immediately seems less populated and more relaxed.
We all book into a lovely guest house and spend the afternoon organising two treks for the next couple of days.
There's lots of quaint little reggae bars around town playing Bob Marley and the alike so i'm feeling right at home.
The four of us have become a little family over the last few days and we're having a real giggle along the way.
I haven't felt this relaxed and comfortable in a long time.

A group of us are picked up bright and early and driven into the lush hills a couple of hours from town.
The day began with some elephant trekking followed by and amazing 2 hour hike into the jungle. We tackled running rivers and steep rocks as we climbed our way to a breathtaking image of a 100 foot waterfall cascading down.
We later made our way back to base where we hopped into boats and white water wafted down the river.
Its been a long time since i've had such an active and sporty day and it just reminds me of how much i love it. We all had the biggest grins on our faces. I definitely plan to book more of these trips in future countries. There's nothing better than being outdoors surrounded by the most amazing scenery partaking in exhilarating sports with a bunch of cool ass people.

Achy and tired from our trek we lay low and browse round town taking in the local culture and visiting temples. Things are working out well. We've struck up a great balance of activities and relaxation. Just the way it should be!

Our last day in Chiang Mai was spent on our second trip to the Golden Triangle. This is where 3 countries meet. (Thailand, Laos and Burma) I'm glad to say i've been but I much prefer the adventure tours. The village trips are fun but its clear half the time is spent in shops and markets where they hope you'll buy souvenirs and alike. Just not my kind of thing but overall I'm still glad i'd signed up.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

We turned up at the local village literally seconds after they slaughtered a pig. They then set it alight and began removing the outer skin. Kinda gruesome but interesting all the same. Impressed I was able to watch.
The Golden TriangleThe Golden Triangle
The Golden Triangle

Snake Whiskey ...yes thats a real snake in there and yes I just had to try it. Urrrggghhhh!


6th November 2008

Trekking
Hey hey, I'll be there in Chiang Mai and keen for a trek similar to the one that you did- how did you find it/ who are they? we're only there for a few days and it's be good to get an idea so we don't waste time doing a crap one...
7th November 2008

You drank the wiskey, YOU LEGEND!
How was the wiskey? I'm really jealous of that elephant, his trunk is way bigger than mine. Looks like a cool bunch of people you have met up with, wish I was there with you. Next time ay. Did you eat any of the pig?

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb