Elephants, white water and a hangover


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Thailand last Saturday and made straight for our hostel. It took a while but we got there eventually with the help of a nice Thai lady at a busy bus stop. Gem quickly got stuck into shopping the next morning at the largest market in South East Asia supposedly. She bought new shorts and dresses, but I wanted a Ferrari t-shirt: they didn't have any. Wasn't so impressed with the largest market in South East Asia after that, but it was good to taste Thai food from street vendors, yum yum! And the fruit shakes are so good; considering they cost about 20p they are an absolute bargain! I'm still on the look out for that Ferrari t-shirt though.

After seeing Bangkok we were eager to make our way to Chinag Mai as that was where James Buckle was flying in to meet us on the 1st. Catching the night bus to Chiang Mai seemed like a good idea but I got hardly any sleep. They may be 1st class / VIP with nice seats but when all I wanted was to lie down and sleep at 3am they are horrible. We picked a great hostel called MD house. Nice pool and rooms; it was more like a hotel. The owner was so nice and each time we walked past him he would give us another snippet of information about the town etc.

On Saturday we went to the airport to meet James. Unfortunately we didn't meet him as he landed at international and we were at domestic. He was a small and lonely figure wandering aimlessly outside the terminal when we found him, fighting off the occasional tuk tuk drivers that were trying to take him somewhere! He said he suddenly thought that we may have been in Chiang Rai.

Yesterday we booked ourselves on an adventure trek. Now the previous night the Brazilian GP had been on the TV and we took ourselves down to the local sports bar. Due to the time difference between Brazil and Thailand the race didn't start until midnight so we decided to have a little drink. James is a bad influence on me and we ended up drinking two 3 litre towers of Chang beer, and then, whilst watching the most exciting and thrilling race ever, another litre each for good measure. I was ill after we got home but happy that we have a British F1 champion!!!!. We later found out Chang beer is 7 %., I only like light beer! After all this the last thing I felt like doing was going on the adventure trek the next day. We got on the bus (the back of a pick-up) and James delighted in taking photos of me feeling ill. Luckily I perked up and the day was great. We rode an elephants, went whitewater rafting, trekked to a waterfall and tried bamboo rafting. The Whitewater was brilliant and the elephants were all well looked after and constantly putting their trunks up to try and get some bananas. Mum would have loved it!

We are going to Laos tomorrow and taking a 2-day 'cruise' down the Mekong.




Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

I had to have this coconut after I burnt my mouth off on a hot chilly


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb