Entering the Jungle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 14th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where it all beganWhere it all beganWhere it all began

I know i look bad...don't need anyone to tell me! This is what the jungle needed - practicality!
Got up early for breakfast ready for jungle. Usual brekfast of eggs and something they call sausage, which is definately not sausage, but more likely dog meat stuffed into sausage skin! Eaten eggs for breakfast every day now and will be like this until leave on 6th November - bets on as to who turns into chicken first...me or Deb!

Loaded into truck with our group who spending next 3 days with. Me, Deb, Iris, 2 different couples from Holland, a couple from Czech, couple from China and 2 girls from Birmingham. Went to market first to get last minute essentials (toilet paper). Debated buying one of those big head band things - v.practical as stop head getting burnt, but looked ridiculous and decided it was defo on a par with wearing Jesus sandals...just couldn't do it to myself!

1st stop in jungle = elephant trekking! Brilliant...absolutley brilliant...again one of best things so far. We had to go on in a 3, so Deb and Iris sat on seat and I sat on elephants neck - excellent! Had my legs tucked under his ears - served dual function of holding me on and also flapping mosquitoes away, as ears coleverd whole of my legs! Had to cling on to his head to stay on though and everytime went up or down steep part of mountain, had to hold Deb and Iris to stay on. Bought bags of bananas on way round, elephant loved them - gobbled them down 1 after another! Kept putting trunk back and breathing/snorting on me if we didn't give him one. Kept stopping when we didn't feed him and ours was harded to control because we didn't have a trainer on our elephant...I was in his seat.

Had lunch and then trekked in jungle for 2 and half hours. Set off at 1:30 in beaming sun with a hill right at start. Really hard work in some parts; lots of uphill and uneven ground. Stopped for breaks after it had been realy hard though. After 2hrs30 got to waterfall. Was really nice - v.cold though. Never walked under a waterfall before, so that was nice. Had to put bikini on though...disappointed that no weight loss yet...maybe Im swelling in the heat?! Walked another 30mins to camp - all uphill..absolutely wet through with sweat by the end of it!

Camp v.basic....jungle basic. Living in
Elephant trekkersElephant trekkersElephant trekkers

The view from an elephant
a wooden hut, built on stick legs, with beds on floor that have matresses thinner than Bernard Matthews wafer thin ham! On the plus side...all had mosquito nets! Went to get shower after that....ha....shower! Defo not a shower! Bathroom was a very small wooden hut with semi walls, a hole in ground for toilet, a large, freezing cold hosepipe for a shower and several inhabitants from the animal kingdom. Waterfall was looking like a much better option at this piont! Had very quick wash and at no point did I look down or put body under hosepipe - defor took no more than 2minutes!

Had dinner after that, usual rice and veg/chicken dished. Found out that is egg plant in all of foods - thats what have eaten alot of so far. Sat round campfire then. Actually got quite cold on a night, something Ive not felt for a while. Was a full moon, chatted round fire, played few games then went to bed. Bed was tricky...couldn't slepp on back because my big bum was raising up off ground by at least half a metre - had to wriggle round on sides a lot, but managed in end.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Elephant snoutElephant snout
Elephant snout

Everytime he breathed out was like a mini face lift.
Us on the ElephantUs on the Elephant
Us on the Elephant

This was the best I could do while desperately gripping elephant with legs.
Our elephantOur elephant
Our elephant

Beautiful...my legs were tucked under those ears! Better than a mosquito net anyday!
Me and Deb at the waterfallMe and Deb at the waterfall
Me and Deb at the waterfall

Look ladies...we are wearing the Tshirts again...these T shirts have seen some sights!
The hutThe hut
The hut

5 star for sure. Don't think you would like it Lynda. Amazing view though.
The BedsThe Beds
The Beds

Bernard Matthews eat your heart out!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb