ChiangMai, our unexpected new home.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 14th 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Decisions, decisionsDecisions, decisionsDecisions, decisions

Trying to figure out what to DO with our lives!
Ok...So first of all I would like to say YES, i know that its been a YEAR since we first arrived to ChiangMai. And I sincerely apologize for not getting this blog up here sooner.
You know how life gets. It gets crazy sometimes.

SO
The story goes....
We left Indonesia for Kuala Lumpur, once again.
This time with NO idea where to go to next.
We finally came to the conclusion that we needed time to focus on our bodies and get in shape, and what better place to do that then on a hot, sunny beach in thailand.
Well, somehow we found a Canadian pilates instructor (more precisely from Winnipeg!) and ended up in a hot, sunny city in northern Thailand, Chiangmai.
Which was really quite fun since Thailand was NEVER meant to be in the travel plans at all.
Thus, we arrived in Chiangmai and our eyes were peeled wide open.
YES we had just spend the past four months in another southeast asian country but how could it be so different?
First of all the language, the faces, the buildings the FOOD.
Everything.
Chiangmai is a moving city, lots of action all the time.
Traffic, noise
Old meets newOld meets newOld meets new

In downtown Kuala Lumpur
and HEAT.
But ALSO...
always within a stones throw of some amazing ancient buddhist temple to duck into, festivals galore and a lifetimes worth of street food to explore.
We completely fell in love with it at first sight. Thats how we managed to pass the next six months there without noticing the time go by at all.
Birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays all just passed by and we kept living our simple and utterly happy lives there.
We made community of friends, found an apartment, studied the fine art of teaching English as a foreign language.
And then....got jobs.
Yes we started working. Thats how comfortable we were (oh ya, and low on $).
While we were there we were lucky enough to have Guillaumes parents and my sister come and visit us, on separate occasions, which i will write about later, so we did some exploring of other regions of Thailand and even Laos, and therefore didnt spend ALL the six months in ChiangMai alone.
Thailand is an amazing country. The smiles, the religion, the food. Incredible.
How fortunate we were to fall upon a place like that.
There was so much to learn about a culture that we
Seems like so long ago...Seems like so long ago...Seems like so long ago...

We poured and saluted to our first SINGHA beer ever.
really just threw ourselves into unexpectedly.
More to come about the Loy Krathong Festival and other cool stuff.

P.S. Since we are leaving for India in TWO days, unfortunately I will not have the time to update the blogs from the rest of Thailand and Laos.
But I promise to do it when we get back from India.
And YES you can expect us to be posting exciting blogs during our travels in India for the next six months.
Bye everyone!
Enjoy! We know WE will.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

One of the THREE temples that we could see from our room window.
Its all about the food, babyIts all about the food, baby
Its all about the food, baby

Thai people DO NOT mess around when it comes to food. Eating is serious business here and they do it well. Very well.
But what IS it?But what IS it?
But what IS it?

Hmmm...one of the problems you face when you are hungry...but cannot read the language.
Late night temple visitLate night temple visit
Late night temple visit

Anytime is a good time to stop by the temple for offerings and prayers.
J GuesthouseJ Guesthouse
J Guesthouse

The sweet and welcoming room we stayed in for three months before we got our apartment.
UnwelcomeUnwelcome
Unwelcome

Ya...i didnt go it.
Sunday Night Walking Street MarketSunday Night Walking Street Market
Sunday Night Walking Street Market

One of my favorite places to pass the evening. Never ending street market filled with food, music and great handicrafts.
Great little place to have a drinkGreat little place to have a drink
Great little place to have a drink

Emphasis on the "little"
ChiangMai Food FestivalChiangMai Food Festival
ChiangMai Food Festival

As if Thai people needed an excuse to eat.
No...No...
No...

he wasnt waving at me. Celebrating our FIFTH year anniversary together at our most favorite Italian restaurant in the city.
Birthday blowoutBirthday blowout
Birthday blowout

Blowing out the birthday candles... or are they blowing you out, Guillaume?
Sushi time!Sushi time!
Sushi time!

All you can eat BIRTHDAY sushi buffet for Guillaume, with our friends Mark and Pueng.
MY turnMY turn
MY turn

Celebrating my birthday with a trip to the zoo. Who knew that hand feeding elephants would be so terrifying?
I SAW A REAL LIVE GIRAFFE!I SAW A REAL LIVE GIRAFFE!
I SAW A REAL LIVE GIRAFFE!

for the first time ever! Happy birthday TO ME!
Hmmm...Hmmm...
Hmmm...

Not quite like the orangutans we saw in the jungle in Sumatra.
Temple DogTemple Dog
Temple Dog

Most of the time they arent so...uh..friendly looking. Usually they are in packs of at least five.... barking, growling and running at you in full force.
World Sumo Wrestling ChampionshipWorld Sumo Wrestling Championship
World Sumo Wrestling Championship

Huh.. and its in Chiangmai? and its free to watch? and its women's heavyweights today? ok.
GO GREAT BRITAIN!GO GREAT BRITAIN!
GO GREAT BRITAIN!

My NEW favorite sumo wrestler.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb