Tri Yaan Na Ros fancy hotel


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 16th 2005
Published: January 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Thailand Rail SystemThailand Rail SystemThailand Rail System

Had to at least look at some tank cars when I was on vacation otherwise I'd miss work.
Ok, so I have officially given up my backpacker ways. I am in conflict between my roots (cheap) and comfort. Ayuthaya was interesting although kept getting lost and Ken didn't want to take a tuk tuk so saw only one ruin. Had a relaxing day though.
Took the overnight train to Chaing Mai last night. About 1hr into the trip I asked myself "Why the H$%# didnt' we fly???(it was $40 total on the train or about $80 each to fly). I am feeling a little dizzy due to fatigue, and so is Ken, as he didn't sleep well on the coconut fibre bed in khao Yai.

So, decided to check into a swanky hotel, so here we are at the Tri Yann Na Ros hotel in Chiang Mai. We wanted to have a nap but found out that they had been painting the room and there are lots of mosquitos so have to let the "raid" sit in the room for a bit before we can use it. Beautiful garden style hotel just outside the old city.

Sunday is a special market so will go and see that this afternoon, then, neenar we want to get some MASSAGES! I know, we haven't had one yet, what is up with that?
Across from Ken's bunk on the train was a North American guy sharing the bunk (any of you that have been on this train know they are quite small) with a thai girl. I hate to jump to conclusions, but it is really just a baby step to put two and two together....yuk. pig.

So, now off to SHOP SHOP SHOP! I have to find out about shipping but we have to fly through Bangkok to go to Vietnam so we might be better off buying some suitcases and on the way to Vietnam check the shopping at the Bangkok airport until we have to fly home. I am even willing to dispose of some of my clothes to make more room...(I brought old clothes specifically for that purpose). Tomorrow off to another national park - Doi Inthanon with lots of waterfalls again. There is a place here to donate blood so we are going to try to do that.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone at home. Ken doesn't have anything to add. We did cave and stopped at Starbucks this morning, but we
Ayuthaya SceneryAyuthaya SceneryAyuthaya Scenery

Caroline 'Paddington' Brookfield and the Ruins
are mostly eating thai food. Yumm, speaking of which I'm hungry....

Love Caroline (and Ken)


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Colours of AyuthayaColours of Ayuthaya
Colours of Ayuthaya

Nice picture with blossoms and ruins.
Flag of ThailandFlag of Thailand
Flag of Thailand

Ruins with National Flag in Background
Statutes in RuinStatutes in Ruin
Statutes in Ruin

The Buddha heads are unfortunately often missing from the statues. They weather easy and are common marks for thieves or tourists.
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

A beautiful statue adorned in saffron robes.
Buddha Head with Tree RootsBuddha Head with Tree Roots
Buddha Head with Tree Roots

An amazing sight! The Buddha head is slowly being enveloped by a tree.


16th January 2005

What do you mean by "cheap" roots?
Have you forgotten the Bulbul houseboat on Dal Lake? But I know what you mean, a night of luxury is needed now and again. Thanks for your journals, am enjoying them. Love Mum - Kate

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb