Chiang Mai, a jungle in the sky!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a quick nap to make up for the sticky overnight train ride we get straight on a private boat ride, steered by a cute Thai emo:





And we floated down Chiang Mai's tranquil Mai Ping river. This way we get a good idea of the different buildings, fishermen and trees that make up the city...


Here is Laura on the boat doing her tourist face.





We stoped off at a herb farm where we get free fresh ginger juice and chunks of pineapple and watermelon. This is me doing my... tourist face at the herb farm cafe.




Our emo guide shows us what all the different herbs do until he gets bored and then we get back on the boat for more sightseeing in a sudden downpour. Luckily it doesn't last long and the sun reappears, in time for some shopping in the amazing north Thai stalls.


Thursday we had breakfast surrounded by little cloud shaped dogs. Thais seem very fond of Britney-esque toydogs, they are everywhere! This one is my favourite. Just look at his leg hooves and bratty face! We like to call him Brat Doll Lamb Teddy:





Then we got a tuktuk to the main temple where we met a young looking guide (apparently he is 19) who took us in his very swish car:





..around the city for 50baht. (Less than a pound!) Chiang Mai is high up in the mountains in North Thailand, and so it feels differnt to to the south islands where we have been so far. The air is a little cooler and there is slightly different animals, temples and sweeter food.


Me looking a bit rough drinking from a freezing fresh coconut, which is truly scrumptious!





The city celebrated its 710th birthday in 2006, so is quite a lot older that Bangkok and so the temples are much more interesting.
This is outside the Wat Chiang Man, I like all the elephants they look like they are going to charge!





What the elephants are holding...





This is a Monk I chatted to... they are all so friendly and open and not scary or intimidating like I thought they might be.





This is the Wat Chedi Luang and Laura laughing at my countless pictures of her, on our romantic holiday for two...





And one of the beautiful golden Buddas inside.





One of the gorgeous dragons that make up every gateway, steps, door and fence at this temple.





Some of the offerings to the gods from temple goers...





Me inside one of the more modern temples, near some people praying.





And outside, eyes wide shut as usual!





We also went to a jewellry making place and we saw how silver and gold was made into amazing pieces. And yes we did end up buying a silver precious stone ring each! Oops. Then we went to a silk making factory, where we were shown how they get the silk from the silk worm's cacoons. Creepy and slightly cruel we didn't want to buy any silk after that! It was still interesting though. We also visited an Indian built temple before heading back for vegetarian sushi. Yum!


Friday was taken up with a tour into the mountains, where I seemed to do more sleeping than trekking. We got to see several impressive waterfalls and beautiful views. Unfortunatley Flickr.com is going to make me pay actual real money if I upload anymore photos for the month of August so I can't show you these pics until September 1st even though they are uploaded. Tight! So I will show you them some other time. The waterfalls were lush and refreshing and so powerful. It was nice to be so high up and still in jungle.


This is 'the highest point in Thailand' pretty much, and we called it, The Mystical Cloud Castle At The End Of The Universe. It did have a proper name but we like this one best.





It was mainly lush because all the clouds were melting and sneaking around us and made us feel all floaty and magical! I think it may also have had something to do with the high altitude..


We also visited a hill tribe at Karen and they were the White Karen tribe. Although they had sky tv, motorbikes and and wellies, they still kept up traditions (hopefully not just for tourists) such as wearing rings on their necks to stretch them and earrings to widen their earlobes. Here is a lady making one of their traditional pre-marriage garments with their fascinating tools.





Then it is back on the boiling hot train...





That pic of me doesn't quite convey the mega sticky uncomfortableness of 'sleeping' on the train, but I am definitley getting used to it now! Then it is back to Bangkok to meet Fle!!!!!

Advertisement



24th August 2008

Really glad you're having an awesome time :) I loved Chiang Mai. Definately go up to Doi Suthep Mountain Wat for the views! Its incredibly beautiful and if you come back down the mountian at night you get to see fireflies! you're making us want to do it all again lol. Have fun! xxx
2nd September 2008

woahhh
looks/sounds amazing you lucky fings, glad you havin wondrful times! thnx4posting photos *enviousness* xX

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb