Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here are a few photos of our last few days in Chiang Mai which we have enjoyed a lot!

We have been to many temples including the temple at Doi Suthep which is considered one of the most spiritual in Thailand (after a failed attempt to get there the previous day when the taxi driver dumped us at the zoo in preference for a better paying big group of people). We've also been to Thailand's highest point which was quite cold which was strange!!! There they have pagodas in honour of the King and Queen who are very special to the Thai people - if you insult a member of the royal family you could be sent to prison!!

We met up with Pete and Gemma for a couple of days of fun including Gemma's discovery of a rooftop bar on the recommendation of some Brummies! After walking through the first two floors which resembled building sites (Thailand hasn't quite got the same health and safety rules) we were quite skeptical about this choice but the top floor was brilliant with everyone sat on the floor and shoes had to be left downstairs.

We've befriended a lovely lady who works at our favourite bar/restaurant - she is shortly due to return to her hilltribe village where she comes from - which is far out in the jungle, with no forms of transport (only walking!!) and she invited us to go there to stay with her!

Over the last few days we have also become experts in bartering down prices at the local markets - we better not try that back at home in Primark!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dancing Thai girlsDancing Thai girls
Dancing Thai girls

Dancing Thai girls saying thank you for our donation
A monkA monk
A monk

The monk at Doi Suthep Temple was blessing people. We had to crawl in and out of the room he was in as it is rude to have your head above a monk's head height!!
Tie-landTie-land
Tie-land

This one's for Lara...x
Huge waterfallHuge waterfall
Huge waterfall

On the way up to Thailand's highest point we stopped off at these huge waterfalls!
Karen hilltribeKaren hilltribe
Karen hilltribe

We visited a hilltribe whilst they were at work. They live in small wooden huts with a fire lit in the middle of the only room.
Tasty grubTasty grub
Tasty grub

Here is a selection of tasty snacks available from the Sunday market - crickets, cockroaches, worms, etc!


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb