Memories of Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 30th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've left Thailand some days ago and since then I've had the desire to share with you my best memories and fix in writing all the marvellous and different experiences we had in "The Land of Smiles" as Thai people call their beloved country.

Some of the idyllic images that are floating in my mind after our visit are mainly of lily ponds with pink and lilac lotus flowers, tall trees with orange orchids, green hills ascending from rice fields and banana trees, golden and teak temples as spectacular in the cities as in small countryside villages, monks with saffron, orange or purple tunics carrying blue long bags, religious parades with monks and people carrying lanterns shaped as lotus flowers....and now sweet dreams to you...

We had some chats with monks at temples, some just spontaneous encounters, some part of an exchange where young monks can practice their English and travellers can ask questions about Buddhism and monks life. They told us about their daily life which is less strict than we thought (good for them!), the reasons why they became monks (some because they believed strongly in the teaching of the Buddha and wanted to purify their minds, some were forced by their parents and some wanted to make their parents proud of them). One monk told us that his favourite teaching of Buddha is freedom, freedom to choose, including to choose to believe him or not after personal experience. I like that.

One day in Chiang Dao we hired bikes and went to visit a forest temple on top of a hill. There were 350 steps to the temple and in the trees there were some boards with teachings of the Buddha. A wise tree told us: When will it end, if you reminisce of the PAST? Where will it lead to, if you muse of the FUTURE? Just MEDITATE and keep your mind only to the PRESENT MOMENT. It seems to make a lot of sense and we are trying our best.

Probably the most special experience of the whole journey was at You Sabai, a community where they build natural homes and do organic agriculture together with two more community projects of organic farming and exchange of seeds and crops. Cooking classes, yoga, simple life....nice to see such dreams coming true. Krit, Yao and Michel, I know you need some advertising, so for everybody who is prepared to live very simply without many comforts but the luxury of peace and finding yourself a little bit have a look here or maybe this great recipe we used will be enough to convince you! A.

Tom-Yum (Spicy soups with mushrooms)

1 cup water
2 small piece of galangal (smashed)
3 clove of garlic (smashed)
2 coriander roots (smashed)
2 pieces of lemongrass (smashed)
2-3 chili sliced
Place water in the pot with herbs over low heat until boiling point
Add 200 g mushrooms (sliced)
50 g onion (sliced)
100 g tomato, sliced, cook for 2 minutes
2-3 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
2 -3 torn kaffir limes leaves and remove for the heat









Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th June 2008

Looking forwar to your next dinner party!
Hi Alice and Paul - just catching up with your travels, everthing sounds and looks fascinating. I am envious of your adventure and marvel at your stamina! Things here in the Ould Sod are the same old same old - so nothing new there! Keep the blog flowing and the photos in focus. Be safe, John.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb