The Journey Into Northern Territory


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 9th 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we had gone to bed so early, we both woke up at about 6am (jetlag for you.)

We used this productively to do a bit more reading and decided that as we both wanted to see a bit of Cultural Thailand, we would head up North to Chang Mai. With it being a 10 hour bus journey, this would also give us time to properly read the guide books and start proper planning our trip here.

A taxi ride later we were at the bus station (again, sooo busy) and managed to buy ourselves a ticket of a 1st class bus for 540 baht (about 8 quid - bargain!). You may think we are splashing out but the 2nd class buses don't have air con and for a long journey would not be the comfiest - we could have been really posh and got a VIP one but didn't really see much of a difference for the 100 b extra.

The journey passed quiet quickly considering and we even got served snacks and drinks throughout - including a Custard Cream Bun in which the 'custard' was illuminous green colour (but very tasty and my stomach's been fine).
Our driverOur driverOur driver

With his flashing disco lights


We arrived in Chang Mai at about 8pm at night and got dropped off at the coach companies office in the centre. Being prepared we had not booked any accommodation and were stood at the terminal trying to negociate the Lonely Planet map when a guy asked if we needed any help. When I turned around, the guy actually turned out to be a Ladyboy! But very helpful though.

After picking a hostel out of the Lonely Planet we got our first Tuk Tuk of Thailand to the accom - their so nippy and great fun. On the way we passed a shop window that had a row of women sat in a line at the front - ladies of the night me thinks and reminded me of Amsterdam.

We checked into a Guesthouse called 'Smile' for a bargain price of 3 pounds each a night and as we only has a green custard bun and some fishy crackers to eat all day, we headed out to search for food.

Again it was very busy and it was so funny to see quite a few western men sitting at the bars with about 2/3 thai girls.

We decided to eat at a bar at the corner of our road and after trying the local Pad Thai (thai style fried noodles with egg) and a bottle of Chang Beer our heads began to droop and we decided to call it a night.

We walked down the alley to our room and noticed a bar called ' Blackpool Bar' advertising fish and chips - how interesting! (as well as a rather unpleasant sight of a local man - will tell all when I get back as know my nieces and nephews are reading this!).

Then it was time for bed - well we did make it to 11.15pm this time, getting better!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb