Can't get any higher than this!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 5th 2008
Published: February 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 13: Do Ithanon National Park

We spent our last day in Chang Mai on another tour where we went to Do Ithanon National Park. The ride out there was 2.5hrs long so we pretty much slept all the way there. Our first stop was at a beautiful waterfall where we got out of the van to take some pictures. Next the van climbed a steep, winding hill all the way to the top to the highest point in Thailand. We had to go up a few steps where there was a sign we took a picture under signifying that we've reached the highest point in Thailand. We then got back in the van and drove down the hill a bit to some pagodas that were built as dedications to the king and queen. The grounds around the pagodas were beautful and covered in many flower gardens. The view from up high was also stunning. Next we headed to an open air seating area to have lunch. We were served a coconut chicken soup with vegatables and some other Thai food. I liked the soup : )

After lunch we headed for another waterfall. This waterfall originated from high up the hillside. We climbed the hill for a bit through lush landscaping and gardens to another point where the waterfall was. We were literally right in front of it. We even had to navigate stepping on rocks to get over the creek (and no, I didn't fall in!).

The day was very nice and relaxing and we got back into Chang Mai around 5:00pm. We were meeting one of Rachel's friends that was traveling through for dinner at 6:45 so while I waited, I headed to the pool deck for a nice fruity drink to watch the sunset. I got a pina colada but it tasted more like a cross between a pina colada and a margarita...go figure. For dinner, we went to a restaurant and sat outdoors. It is so relaxing however, the mosquitos are plenty here so we carry bug spray with us wherever we go for such occasions.

After dinner, we headed to the Night Market where there were a lot of vendors selling all kinds of goods from clothes to crafts to silk. The prices seemed more expensive there though so I didn't buy much of anything there. We shopped until late and
The Highest Point in ThailandThe Highest Point in ThailandThe Highest Point in Thailand

If only I'd actually climbed up rather than being driven...oh well, that's for another blog
then headed back to the Holiday Inn for our last night in Chang Mai. (Ho-tel, Mo-tel, Holiday Inn....)




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pagoda to Honor the KingPagoda to Honor the King
Pagoda to Honor the King

It was under renovation


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb