Thailand. A new adventure. Day 13. January 6, 2008


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 13th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Brick wall in Chiang MaiBrick wall in Chiang MaiBrick wall in Chiang Mai

This wall dates back to about 1800 although there are remanants of an earthen wall that date back to the 1200s.
Sunday. January 6. Day 13. Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Siem Reap.
Cambodia bound.

Late bus to the airport so I sleep past 8 am for the first time since starting this "vacation." The morning is spent packing and repacking since nothing seems to fit in my bag anymore. Then it's off to the Chiang Mai airport to begin the journey to Cambodia. I would have liked to have spent more time in Chiang Mai. The city has created laws in an attempt to halt growth near its 300 temples as well as the Ping River, a total of over 80%!o(MISSING)f the city protected (at least in writing), and it is one of the few places I visited that has recycling bins. I love the old crumbling brick wall (from the 1800s) that runs throughout the city. The weather has been perfect. In the 70s during the day, dropping to the 60s at night. No rain. Not a drop. At the airport we say goodbye to (and tip) our bus driver and his assistant.
The rush is on.
Our tour guide, Nok, accompanies us to Bangkok where we rush through what seems like miles of corridors. Our plane has to
Bangkok airportBangkok airportBangkok airport

Thailand--and much of Asia that I've visited--does a good job of blending religions so while Thais claim to be Buddhists they are also Hindus, and there is also evidence of animism everywhere throughout the country.
be held so all of our group can clear customs. But we all make it.
Wet and wooly.
We can feel the humidity when we arrive in Siem Reap, Cambodia even though it is late Sunday night. We are met by a new tour director, a Cambodian who will remain nameless. He has the most unusual yet contagious laugh I have ever heard. Completely uninhibited. We pass blue signs that proclaim Cambodian People's Party on numerous buildings and some of us begin to wonder what we've got ourselves into. It is very late when we arrive at the four-story Princess Angkor Hotel. Large rooms, mattresses on wooden frames, gym, pool, extremely accommodating staff.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Bangkok airportBangkok airport
Bangkok airport

View from the runway where we boarded the plane to Cambodia.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb