Bye Bye Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 3rd 2005
Published: October 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

It's hot and smoggy and we're looking forward to Chang Mai. We're told by the hotel staff and cab driver that there's severe flooding in Chang Mai, water up to your knees, they say, it's a shame we have no wellies! After a swift cab ride to the airport and short flight we land in Chang Mai. It's very sunny but there are huge black clouds over the mountain. On the drive to the hotel we ask the cab driver if it has been raining. He says 'we have had rain, but it's all finished now'. As he offloads our luggage the heavens open and it's pissing down, he laughs and says 'more rain!'.
We check in, the hotel is beautiful but very quiet, sort of like the Overlook hotel. We suspect we are the only guests, thankfully there is no typewriter in the lobby! All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
We take a wander around Chaing Mai, where it appears that everyone is a tour guide, or is related to someone who can -
a. make you a lovely suit
b. take you around their factory
c. take you up the mountain
d. teach you how
Karinthip, Chang MaiKarinthip, Chang MaiKarinthip, Chang Mai

The Overlook, I mean Karinthip Hotel
to cook
e. give you sewing lessons
f. massage lessons

We decline politely but it's becoming more and more difficult to remain polite!
We are accosted by a Mui Thai teacher, surprise surprise his brother has a huge air conditioned van and will take us up the mountain! We take his number (this poilite thing is a real pain in the arse) and add it to the other half of the Chang Mai phone directory we are now carrying. He rides off on his scooter only to hail us as we round a corner, we stop for drinks with him and he tells us of his sister, who we must know as we come from England, she's from Accrington Stanley, Lancashire! After staying long enough to be polite, we make our escape.

Having spent the better part of two hours walking, we decide it's dinner time and we head back to the hotel. We rouse the sleeping waiter who is more than surprised to find he has customers. Dinner is quick but delicious and we retire to a local bar.
Our first mistake is an evening on Chang beer. Having been warned that it's hangover enducing. 'Chang Chang overhang' is the local saying, but nothing can prepare you for the waking hangover that hits you about 30 minutes after you've finished your last beer.

We retire to bed with chocolate milk and neurofen!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb