Exploring Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday July 7

Today we set out to explore the town of Chiang Mai with the help of the “Nancy Chandler’s Map” (again, thank you Leslie). Transportation in this area is interesting: there are a few metered taxis, a lot of what the locals consider a mini-bus (songthaew) which is a pick-up truck with a covered bed and two bench seats, and a huge number of tuk-tuks.

We took a songthaew that was sitting right outside the hotel to Wat Phra Singh in the old city area. The “old city” is inside the original city area defined by brick walls and moat. This wat is the oldest and largest Buddhist temple in the city - there are many wats in Chiang Mai. From there we took a tuk-tuk to Tha Phae Gate, what used to the main gate to the old city. We stopped and had a cup of coffee at …. Starbucks! We really enjoyed the A/C for a while - the weather was bright, sunny, humid, and very hot. We walked around that area for a while, then jumped into a tuk-tuk and went over to the Warorot and Lam Yai markets. There Nancy “struck gold”, finding the much sought after blue and white dishes. She also bought a lot of other stuff.

After shopping we used the foot bridge to cross over the Mae Ping River and search for a place to eat lunch. The map showed several places along the river - we ended up at “The Gallery”. A very nice restaurant in a 100+ year old Chinese teak house - we ate on the terrace overlooking the river - good food. After that, a tuk-tuk back to the hotel for some pool time - it was HOT!

We decided to have an early dinner at The Riverside Restaurant, which is very close to where we had lunch - dinner was not as good as lunch, but there was a nice sunset over the river. Then we headed back for a last shot at the Night Bazaar. I had to buy a carry-on suitcase for Nancy’s purchases.

It was a short time “bazaaring” - we had to get back to the hotel and pack up. Our flight out of Chiang Mai on Sunday is at 7:00 AM. We need to get up at 4:30 AM and leave the hotel by 5:45. Ouch!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Silk scarfSilk scarf
Silk scarf

Nancy bought a thai silk scarf - the woman designs her own batik patterns.


12th July 2007

We're along for the ride
Jefff and Nancy, The pictures and comments are wonderful. It's been great to be able to enjoy this trip with you. You both look happy and healthy. I like your hate, Nancy. We're looking forward to your next stop.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb