Bangkok to Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 9th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, after being fed snake or what ever the heck it was, we decided to have a chilled out day and hit the National Museum in Bangkok. We now know the complete history of Thailand, always useful!
The next day we finally escaped the Bangkok Smog and headed north to Chiang Mai - 14 hours overnight on a sleeper train! Arrived feeling pretty groggy at 9.30am yesterday and have managed to pack in tonnes of stuff over the last 2 days! We started off at Wat Chiang Man which is home to the 1,800 year old crystal Bhudda and the 2,500 year old marble Bhudda. It is also the oldest temple in Chiang Mai. We then jumped bank in our tuk tuk and headed for another temple, Wat Mori (In Thai "Wat" means temple). In the evening we went to the Saturday market where we met a couple, Paul and Elise, who were really nice and gave us loads of tips for Laos and Vietnam.
Today we went to vist Wat Umong which is unlike any other Wat we have seen so far in that it was set in the jungle in tunnels. Very tranquil! After that we went to Wat
Wat Chiang ManWat Chiang ManWat Chiang Man

The two really old Bhudda images are locked away in the middle behind 3 sets of bars!
Phra Singh and chatted to a monk about Bhuddism and football! And finally... this evening bought a bag at the huge Sunday market, which seemed to cover the whole of Chiang Mai. Yes, I'm told Kirstie did "need" another bag!
After Bangkok it has been so nice to come up to Chiang Mai. Our faith has been restored in Thai people as everyone here seems to be genuine and wants to help you without trying to sell you something.
Tomorrow we're heading off to the border with Laos, ready for a two day trip down the Mekong to Louang Prabang.

By the way, you can post comments on this site, which everyone can read, or you can send messages which only we will get.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th July 2007

of course Kirstie needed another bag... just don't keep buying more or you'll never be able to carry it all home! it all looks awesome, very jealous but glad you guys are having fun x
9th July 2007

Bags
A girl can never have enough bags, so good to hear your having a fab time, love reading about it, just wish I was there. x Em
9th July 2007

I dont remeber those parts of Chang Mai when we were there! Probably because all I was interested in at the time was copious amounts of Chang beer. Remember there is a good pub by Eagle House. Luang Prabang is awesome - definately go to the water falls but dont loose your money and blow up your camera (That's were it all went wrong for Phil).
9th July 2007

Looks awesome!
Well jelous, in Lao try to get to the Mekong delta (south) if you can. Not too touristey and some of the islands on the delta are amazing!

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb