Intrepid Tour - treking in the villages


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 1.
Well I am still alive and well. I have just finished my 8 day intrepid tour. This was out of this world. It all started with an overnight train ride to Chaing Mai- here we went to the night markets . . . loads of great bargains and yummy food halls. The intrepid group consisted of 12 of us- great bunch.Cool Guides- Chai( leader )and MR O his trusty sidekick- with the most infectious giggle.
Day 2.
From Chaing Mai we all were loaded onto the back of a pick up truck and driven( bumped around) for 1.5 hours to the start of our trek. first day to a waterfall- where we could swim( well and truly needed- as so hot)then 2 hour climb in 32 degrees to 'Karen' Village. the people are so friendly and welcoming . . here we watched our guide cook our meal for the night. Red curry chicken, and i assisted the making of spring rolls( not as good as Chow though). That night sing along around the table- practicing our elephant song ready for next day.
Day 3.
today was the big hike- 4 hour trek to elephant camp- great scenery and quite sheltered from sun. . . well worth it. Arrived at elephant camp and we were lucky to see a baby elephant( 3 years old). The elephant ride was phenominal, out of this world- loaded on the back 2 person per elephant we were thumped bumped along- they can manage the tiniest path. ( i will add photos in london).
Next stop another local Karen village- where we same in river and jumped off rocks into it( it wasn't till after I was told lots of poisionous spiders on the rock face- i never saw them so thats ok) Refreshed and clean ( not for long) next partook in the local village soccer game, this was hilarious ( kids pulled out there special clothes) and tiring, there was no side line just long grass, and if you got to ball first you just keep playing- no breaks -so played non stop for 1 hour- kids loved it though!!
Dinner at the house - pad thai yummy!! and a few Chang beers of course.
Day 4.
Today very relaxing- 3 hour bamboo ride down the rapids - like white rafting in NZ only smoother. then loaded back in pick up truck back to Chaing MAi Hotel Serenity. Group dinner in town then off to find some night life. . . great roof top bar full of travellers.
Day 5.
today we a free to roam Chaing Mai- so my one and only stop is for a thai massage( as walking funny from soccer and trek). . . and man was it good!! 4pm pile onto overnight train to head back to civilisation and the madness of Bangkok.

And here I sit in a trendy internet cafe waiting for my flight out to London tonight.

Well thats all I have time for now. Will be back soon, onto next adventure- Watch out LONDON!!

Miss you all
xx Megan




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



13th June 2007

Yes, we are glad you are Alive and Well
We just knew you would embrace Thailand and its People. Sounds like you have made some good friends in your fellow travellers, too. Were the 'Keens' suitable footware? Blisters?? Can't envisage an 'upmarket' internet cafe where you are: but pleased they exist in Bangkok. Think of us, slumbering away in the early hours of a (cold) Kiwi morning as you 'wing' your way to Frankfurt - and London. How exciting!
16th June 2007

Just as well you were already fit!!!
Wow Megan, excellent colourful pictures you described and what a lot of action, brilliant stuff! Nice size group too - no chance of getting lonely or bored huh? Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more. Take care dude. Helen
17th June 2007

not fit enough- the trek knackered me out!
hi Helen so good to hear from you, i have since updated blog with photos so you can see in detail how wonderful Thailand is. Hope all is weel back home- are you training hard for taupo cycle race- go Dulux!!take care M

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb