Thailand - Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 3rd 2007
Published: May 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Chiang Mai on Tuesday 10th April after a one hour flight from Laos. There is a water festival from 13th to 16th April but as we took the taxi from the airport, we saw people lining the streets soaking any passer-by. After checking-in, we walked around for a bit and had numerous soakings from buckets and super soakers. After a couple of beers and a few games of pool, we freshened up and went out for dinner. Then we went to a few different bars before finding a late night bar that was showing the Champions League football. The football finished at 3.30am so then we went clubbing before going to a French guy's house for a few more beers. I woke up at 3pm on Wednesday with a splitting headache. We spent the rest of the day walking around town and the local night market before returning to the room to watch a film. On Thursday we woke up at 8am to go on a mountain bike tour. The morning was spent being briefed and then we were driven up the mountains to the start of our trail. After putting on all of the gear and adjusting our bikes, we set off riding up the mountain trail. Before long we realised that the trail was a lot tougher and technical than expected, especially in the heat. For most of the climb, we had to carry our bikes while trekking on foot. The descent proved just as difficult and most people fell off their bike at some point. Eventually, we reached the main road where we could coast down the windy road at speed with minimal effort. However, every 30 seconds we had to contend with buckets of water being thrown in our face so this added to the difficulty. Four hours after we began our trail, we reached the end where lunch was waiting for us. Then we drove home through the packed streets where the water festival was in full flow. After getting home, it was a relief to dry off and have a nice warm shower. We went out for my birthday drinks that night but after a couple of shots and a bucket of whiskey, I can't really remember much. I woke up safe and sound in my own bed on Friday so that was positive. After walking around for a couple of hours on Friday, it was impossible not to join in the water fights, especially since we were drenched anyway. We spent a few hours hanging around the moat but as the sun fell, so we started shivering and it was time to go home. After dinner we went for a couple of games of pool before playing darts. Soon, there were six of us involved in the same darts game and we played until midnight. Feeling tired, I went home to bed and left Ian to go clubbing. On Saturday, with swimming shorts on and buckets in hand, we were prepared for a full day's water fight. Every hour or so we stopped at a bar for a beer or two and then proceeded to chuck buckets of water at anyone who passed. I don't think I've ever seen so many people smiling and having fun together at the same time. Again, as night fell, it was time to go home and have a nice warm shower. That evening, we went out for Ian's birthday drinks. After checking out a few different bars, we went to a club called Bubbles and then a late night club called Spicy. I decided to stay in on Sunday as I didn't want to get drenched again so I had a lazy day watching DVDs. Even though Monday was still a public holiday, the water fights had stopped and the streets were empty. This was the first time I had seen Chiang Mai without the water festival so it was nice to walk around in peace and without being soaked. That evening we caught an overnight bus to Bangkok for our Tuesday morning flight to Phuket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb