16 Hrs & 700 Kilometers Later: Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 21st 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wat Suan DokWat Suan DokWat Suan Dok

We chatted with Novice Monks at this gorgeous Wat.
Though it has only been a week since our last blog, it feels like much longer!

We arrived in Chiang Mai in the afternoon on the 16th. Our mode of transportation was an overnight train departing from Bangkok at 10pm the previous night. We were a bit skeptical as to how spending 16hrs on a train would be, but we must admit, it was very pleasant. The train car we were on consisted of nearly forty beds stacked two high. Erin slept on the top bunk with me on the bottom. After a surprisingly sweet slumber we awoke to see the sun rising over some of the most beautiful landscape we had ever seen.

Our time in Chiang Mai has been great; although not what Erin or I had anticipated on the train ride here. I think we are both guilty of selective reading; reading what we want out of a place rather than what it truly is.

Chiang Mai itself is a rather large city with a great deal of traffic and tourist traps to get caught in. Now that we are here we see this in our guidebooks. However, we were anticipating rolling hills and wildflowers.
Wat Phra SinghWat Phra SinghWat Phra Singh

Completed between 1385-1400; classic northern Thai style.


With that one (1) disclaimer done, we have found the best of Chiang Mai and have had an amazing time.

We started off our adventure in Chiang Mai with the familiar search for a guesthouse. It's funny how your criteria changes while traveling. Cold showers, no problem. Box spring for a mattress, Perfect. Anywhere near expensive, NO GO! We found ourselves at Daret's House, a conveniently located joint with cheap beer and good food.

What Chiang Mai lacks in tranquility it more than makes up for in proximity to significant historical landmarks. Among the urban sprawl there are hundreds of Wats (Temples) that have stood here for centuries. A lot of our time has been spent motor biking around, finding these Wats, simply to sit in them for an invaluable moment of silence.

Erin heard of The Maesa Elephant Camp and it was not too far away. So we hopped on our trusty 115cc motorbike and headed 20km outside of town. Here we found the rolling hills we were looking for. It was beautiful; the camp was next to a stream that was all too picturesque. The elephants themselves were more than impressive. They played the harmonica, soccer and showed off their ability to build walls out of huge tree trunks (a skill they have utilized here for years).

Another one of our highlights came from our complete inexperience with Buddhism. The University in Chiang Mai has a program that invites travelers to come and sit with Novice Monks (Monks in training, >20 Years Old) to help then practice their English while they teach of a Monks life and Buddhism. It was a great experience! Especially since up to this point Erin and I have been so afraid of offending the Monks we have basically avoided them.

Our plans have slightly shifted since we have been here. At first we were planning on doing a trek through the jungle near Chiang Mai. Being here for as long as we have, and seeing how many trekking companies (a.k.a tourist traps) there are on the streets, we have decided to go somewhere else to explore the jungle. We will be heading to Umphang, six hours south of Chiang Mai, tomorrow to explore the largest waterfall in Thailand. It will be quite the journey and might force us to sacrifice other plans, but we are both VERY
Monk WalkMonk WalkMonk Walk

We took this picture after asking the Novice Monks if it is rude to take pictures of Monks....according to them it's not.
excited about it. After that we are heading to Sukothai which holds the oldest ruins in Thailand.

We both hope this finds you more than happy and healthy. Both of us have had our fights with homesickness and although we are having an amazing time, we love you and miss you!!!

Cheers,

Mike & Erin.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

One of the many...One of the many...
One of the many...

So many great images of Buddha.
Karma InsuranceKarma Insurance
Karma Insurance

Erin paying respect.
Night Market: Chiang MaiNight Market: Chiang Mai
Night Market: Chiang Mai

This was going on across the street from our guesthouse Sat & Sun night.
The MoatThe Moat
The Moat

Chiang Mai was once completely surrounded by this moat.
Wat Chiang ManWat Chiang Man
Wat Chiang Man

The oldest Wat in Chiang Mai.
Flower BuddhaFlower Buddha
Flower Buddha

It's not hard to find beauty here.
World TravelersWorld Travelers
World Travelers

This picture just seemed fitting.
A Fantastic Park A Fantastic Park
A Fantastic Park

In the heart of Chiang Mai stood this amazing park.
On Our Way to the Maesa Elephant CampOn Our Way to the Maesa Elephant Camp
On Our Way to the Maesa Elephant Camp

The nature we were looking for.
Erin's New FriendErin's New Friend
Erin's New Friend

This one liked Erin, a lot!!!
Hat ServiceHat Service
Hat Service

Along with the great memories, this elephant gave me a hat.
Walking Down the 306 Steps from Doi SuthepWalking Down the 306 Steps from Doi Suthep
Walking Down the 306 Steps from Doi Suthep

Meaning we walked up the 306 steps to Doi Suthep. Beautiful views of Chiang Mai.
Doi SuthepDoi Suthep
Doi Suthep

One of Thailands most sacred temples.
Wat Phra SinghWat Phra Singh
Wat Phra Singh

Statue of a well-respected Monk.
The Remaining Wall Surrounding Chiang MaiThe Remaining Wall Surrounding Chiang Mai
The Remaining Wall Surrounding Chiang Mai

There are only a few parts of the original wall left.


22nd January 2007

Holy Moly!!
This is amazing!! I'm sure you two are having a great time :) I love reading about all of your adventures and TRUST, you've more than inspired me to rethink the European trip I'm planning.
26th January 2007

We miss you...
We got a bit worried because we didn't receive this blog...more on that another time. The pictures are sooo awesome. You two look great! Keep having fun. We'll still be here, so enjoy your time in the beautiful place where you are. Gary and I love you so much and we're very proud of you for being so adventurous. OXOX Gary and Mom P.S. Thank you Alice (for calling)!
26th January 2007

Get your hands off my Sister
I am happy to see you are having fun but I am also very disappointed with Mike's Vacation Beard...it has been almost a month and it looks pathetic...everyone here in the US has been waiting for a Johnny Damon type look in the photos and each time you send us a blog with photos we are left disappointed...get on it buddy....Also I think a congratulations is in order because your guys San Diego Super Chargers are looking real super at home while my Colts will soon be Champions...see you later and be very safe.
26th January 2007

Thanks!
Reading this blog made my boring day at work a little bit better. I love reading your blogs and seeing your pictures. i can't wait to travel abroad again myself! love you!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb