Welcome, Clinic, Volleyball


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 7th 2019
Published: January 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today was a little bit of a different day! After a weeping of feeling like a total Thailand tourist (which I completely am), we did actual nursing business. After another yummy breakfast, we had a Formal Meeting with the BCNC Nursing faculty and students. The nursing staff shared a little bit about their wonderful program and our itinerary for the next three weeks! We discussed our home stay in Chiang Rai, our clinical experiences in the hospitals, our tourists outings, and activities with our Thai buddies. I knew a general plan of what was going to happen while in Thailand, but it was really nice to sit down with our professors and go over the schedule in more detail.

Some of the Thai students did a traditional Thai dance for us in Thai formal outfits. It was beautiful! We also had the opportunity to go up in front of the room and have our Thai names explained to us with the meaning. My Thai name is Lamai! Our sweet buddies also gave us all welcome gifts! Jade and Fah have me a really good green journal with an elephant on it! They also gave me a blue bracelet! I'm learning that Thailand is a very giving culture. They show their respect and appreciation for us being here by giving us food and gifts. I brought my Thai buddies some gifs, but I feel like it's not enough compared to all they they're doing for me!

After lunch at the school, we visited Donkaew Health Center. One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to learn all about the healthcare system in a country and their level of care, as well of how they practice medicine compared to the United States. Luckily, we were given a presentation on the Health Center and how Thailand healthcare works! Apparently, for the clinic there is no appointments needed, so clients just walk in at any time of day to receive care. This clinic was similar to a Fast Care Outpatient clinic, that sees low acuity patients, in the United States. The city of Chiang Mai allots 4,000 Bots for each person in the city. If the city does not use all this money to provide healthcare, they get to keep the spare money. Thus, their plan centered on health promotion and health maintenance to prevent people from getting sick. Thus, they get to keep this extra money! It was very interesting to learn about, and I can't wait to learn more about Thailand Healthcare!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb