Thai Traditional Kantoke Dinner Day


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 9th 2018
Published: January 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first “full day” in the NPK hospital on our units. Melissa and I went to the Women’s Medical unit upon arriving and were greeted by our preceptor. She was very kind, gave us water bottles right away, and brought us to the conference room to talk with her. She shared how she is proud of her unit and stated that though her staff knew little English, we would have a good experience. It became evident she was leaving for a meeting for the morning and I was nervous we would be unable to communicate without her and would be lost in translation, literally. These fears were valid yet reassured after we were put with the injection nurse, Meme, who understood and spoke English very well for a Thai person. Yet, throughout the day we noticed many of the “non-English speaking staff” was actually pretty great at English and a minimal conversation and gestures were enough for us to get by. I was surprised to hear that the Thai nurses work many, many 8 hour shifts during a given month, getting off only 4 to 5 times a month. It was evident that they work very hard, managing medication mixing and drawling up, ventilators, IVs, feedings, and regular care by themselves, without the assistance of specialty staff like we have in the US. Our challenges between the two countries are different and I wasn’t sure if that was being communicated. We tried to explain our nursing to them, yet they kept repeating “Thai nurses’ work hard.” I hope they understood that US nurses also work hard and don’t need special treatment or breaks, yet I know the misconception seen through TV and online can taint a bad picture about us and our work. Though I felt sad and frustrated at the lack of resources, I felt differently after spending some time of the female medical ward and seeing what they are doing and what they have. Their equipment is more primitive and manual, yet seems to work the same way to produce a similar result. We rounded with the med students and doctors and got to heard the reoccurring disease processes and reasons for admission: COPD, heart failure, sepsis, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and so on. I did notice the interactions between the care team, including nurses and doctors, seemed strained at times. One nurse we talked to discussed how nurses are blamed for the doctors mistakes and how the doctors don’t appreciate or make the nurse’s job easier. I could see this in their interactions yet I also noticed the strong reverence and respect for the doctors over the nurses and the hierarchy in place according to status. In reflection of my second goal, I notice a difference in the staff and their view of one another. During the time we observed and assisted with bed baths, NGT feedings, medication preparation and administration, and suctioning. I would like to be more hands on tomorrow and actually get to see and do more than I feel we were allowed to do today.

We quickly returned to the BCNC to get ready for the Khum Kantoke traditional Thai dinner. Our Thai buddies were promptly ready at 4 pm to get us ready by doing our hair, makeup, and helping us put on our outfit (confusing the first time). They were very excited for us, even though they could not go with us, and gave decking us out their all. My buddy Meji couldn’t help me all that much yet still picked our purple orchids for my hair that matched my outfit. Pictures were taken and I realized quickly the material of the Thai garment were not very breathable nor light. Upon arriving to Kantoke, we could see quickly the beauty and art we were stepping into as well as the touristy feel of the dinner. We sat on what looked like the floor, yet underneath there the table was a bench like seat to stow your seat, very ingenious especially if we were to sit for that long. We got to experience the beauty of Thai dance, fighting, music, and, of course, food! Ajahn Emmy sat with us and explained the many bowls and dishes set before us on the kantoke and we ate to the brim. I truly enjoyed getting to see more of the Thai culture and history along with dressing us and feeling Thai.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb