The Price of Paradise - Only £7.40!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
August 14th 2006
Published: August 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was our last day in Bangkok and we really couldn't motivate ourselves to do anything spectacular aside from a dip in the hostel's tiny pool (it only takes about 4 strokes to reach the other end!) and lounge around in the bar, beerless for the most part. It's nice to have some down time every now and again, espeically when the hostel you're staying in feels so comfortable.

Today it was time for our big trip to the beach, something we've not managed to do so far on this trip. We lugged our packs over to the east bus station and got ourselves a ticket on an air conditioned bus to Banphe on the coast for a mere 134 Baht each, which is about ฃ2. The journey took 3 hours and was very comfy and direct too, unlike the public bus which is cheaper but with no air con. We had intended to take the public bus but just couldn't find the right ticket office for it but it was well worth paying the extra for what we got.

When we arrived at Banphe we veered staright for the little ferry terminal where we caught a tiny passenger boat over to the island of Ko Samet. The boat cost only 50 Baht and after a slightly choppy ride (we sat right at the bow too so felt the waves even more) we arrived 40 minutes later. It was tricky getting on and off the boat with our large backpacks as the boat wasn't moored near enough to the walkway and there was a huge gap to leap across. But we made it safely and with guide book in hand, we wandered off in search of Jep's Bungalows which had been recommended by a fellow traveller. We found it after walking for only about 20 minutes and were lucky enough to get a room for a good price as it's cheaper during the week than at weekends here.

Our bungalow is nice and the hotel is right next to the beach, just a few steps away from our front door. The beach is beautiful with white sand and clear blue waters and it's so clean too! Although the waether was cloudy we couldn't wait to run into the sea and it was wonderful to see Glynn stepping into the warm sea for the first time in his life. We splashed about as the salty waves crashed around us and marvelled at how easy and cheap it has been to get here.

In the evening we went for some food at one of the beachfront restaurants which was really romantic until the heavens opened. The rain came down by the bucketload but we just sat back and watched the lightning flashing over the dark sea in the distance. When it eased off a little, we tentatively walked along the beach in search of a bar to spend the rest of the evening in. We decided to try out the Naga bar as we had heard Linkin Park played there earlier in the day but the resident DJ was more of a hip hop and house music kind of guy. If it hadn't have been for the warm welcome and good company there, we might have moved on. Instead, we drank beer and slurped down a couple of vodka jellies until the small hours of the morning at which point we were both pretty damn pissed. Glynn wanted to stay up all night and nearly got his wish when a Scottish guy bought us a round of pina coladas, so we stayed a little longer and left a lot more worse for wear! Ko Samet is just fab!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb