Ko Samet Island--Beautiful Beaches!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
March 18th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spent a few nights in Ko Samet. We arrived in the afternoon on friday with no reservations and had a bit of a time trying to find a "bungalow". Ended up finding one at the Lost Resort up the hill, but a very short walk. The room was a room, nothing special but at least it had air conditioning and a friendly gecko! We moved on the last day down to Jeps bungalows which was much more popular with the tourists and a little closer to the action. There were many local Thai's taking a weekend trip, as Ko Samet is so close to Bangkok.
The beaches here are beautiful. The whitest sand I have ever seen. Feels like you are walking on a combination of white chalk powder and snow. Very sticky! Enjoyed a few days of just laying around people watching was good for sure😉 The island itself seemed to be dry, with not much greenery (huge difference to Ko Chang where we are now).
We took a cab to the other side of the island (the island is 5K long, so not too far to get anywhere), to Ao Prhao in search of some snorkeling. Instead we found a couple of 5 star resorts. We tried to act like we belonged there, but I think the security guards caught on and wouldnt let us lay next to the infinity pool! Instead we found a nice shady spot on the beach below it. Not too many people on that side of the island, and snorkeling, at least where we were wasnt too special. I did however get another Thai masage on the beach for 3 dollars. Then i decided to splurge and get a foot scrub for an additional dollar. It was awesome! We stayed and watched the sunset on that side which was spectacular and can only be seen on that side of the island...
The food on Ko Samet, and everywhere I have been has been amazing. Note to self....when making sweet and sour anything, add cucumbers to the dish (in addition to pineapple). Very popular thing to do here and tastes amazing! Havent gotten sick of the food yet at all, and havent had any problems with getting sick yet (knock on wood!)
All in all, glad we went to Ko Samet, but dont think i would go out of my way to go back, at least not for very long. The activities on this island are very minimal, or perfect if you are looking to literally just lay on the beach😉
We are in Ko Chang now for a few days on the way to Cambodia, and will update when we get to our next destination in a few days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb