3 Mistakes of a crashpacker...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Moonlight and stormsMoonlight and stormsMoonlight and storms

taken with a very long exposure - 15seconds or so. i had to do something to relieve the boredom!
Mistake 1 - turn up on an island around 7pm on saturday night with no reservation... ''Room full'' Room Full'' Loom Full''
This place is a weekend hang out for the hoardes of Bangkok and everywhere there are crowds of Thai families and friends, drinking Johnnie Walker, singing kareoke and filling up the rooms.

Mistake 2 - Decide to settle for the first sleeping option that come along, whatever the price.
Which is a tent on the beach. Very romantic I think at first, and a steal at 200 baht, a view of the ocean, a shadey area on the sand.
Great idea.
Until mistake number 3

Mistake 3 - Camp on a beach in rainy season. In the middle of the night, along comes intense flashes of lightning, thrashing rain, lashing wind. Water pours into the tent, blankets are soaked, visions of me being washed out to sea in a zipped-up eurohike tent.

I get up and hangout with the beach dogs watching the gods do their business up in the sky and slowly the light returns.
Good news is that the clouds clear, the crowds ebb away, rooms become available and I find a hidden bay of hippy huts and home-made food with a quiet bay of sand.

Time to chill and stare out to sea.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb