Koh Samet


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
August 4th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're told time after time to watch out for the Siem Reap to Bangkok bus scam as if it's an actual predator that walks the streets. But what the books and the people neglact to tell you is how you should go to Bangkok and what bus company you should take. For this reason we had to choose a bus and hope it would not be a bus that stops every hour and a half to make you get off the bus and eat at a restaurant that would give the bus driver "kick backs" for bringing a bus full of people. Well you can probably guess that our guess was not the correct one and yet again we were on a run down bus trying to pass the day with the "20 questions game". To make matters worse the 155 kilometer trip from Siem Reap to Thailands border would be done on the worst road you could imagine.

It is said that there is an airline that is paying the government to hold off on repairing the roads so that the thousands of tourists that cross from Siem Reap to Thailand are inclined to use the services of the airline rather than subjecting there bodies to such a brutal drive. What airline is it? Well I won't name any names, but currently theres only one airline flying from Siem Reap to Bangkok that I know of and after driving on that road I've come to believe that any rumours of this pay off to the government must be true. How can a road of such importance be so bad? And a flight of such short distance be so expensive? After covering only 155 kilometers in 6 long hours and being covered in a coat of dust we finally arrived at the Thailand border. We could only smile and shake our heads in disbelief about what we just endured and move on. Another 6 hours of bus later (on good roads) we arrived in Bangkok and finally were able to relax and get some excellent Thai food!

We spent about 2 days in Bangkok before we were ready to hit the beaches. Not willing to sit on another long trek down to southern Thailand we decided to catch a 3 hour bus ride to Koh Samet! An island easily reached from Bangkok and a great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. We arrived to the Island and found a great bungalow. For only 9 dollars a night we were 90 feet from the white sand beaches and turquoise water in a rugged wooden bungalow surrounded by lush trees and the sounds of various boisterous creatures. This is exactly where we wanted to be and we wern't going to move anytime soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th August 2007

HAIR
Preston...do you have a mullet????? That rocks!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb