Tastes of Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
October 1st 2010
Published: October 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Koh Chang, Thailand


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Monsoon reporting 10 secs
LunchLunchLunch

Pad Thai Gai and veggie spring rolls.
The Khao San Road in Bangkok is the jumping off point for budget travellers to the rest of SE Asia. It’s a road full of white or burnt backpackers wearing flip flops, using the internet cafes/drinking in one of the many bars/eating food from a street stall and just generally easing themselves in to a different way of life. By night the place turns on a million neon lights and music starts pumping from every corner of every building. We were still so jet lagged that it didn’t bother us, in fact it was quite nice waking up to a Thai rendition of Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon at 4am.

After a day burning cds full of photos and sending them home, buying tickets to Koh Chang and having some more excellent food at our hostel, we were quite pleased to be leaving for some much needed island life.

During a heat induced lie down we started flicking through a brochure for Koh Chang and found this cute little hotel with lovely big rooms, our own bathroom, TV, fridge and best of all a rather large swimming pool.. all for the grand old cost of £9 per night. SCORE!

The journey over to Koh Chang was great - a piece of cake. It was pleasantly odd that we had two breaks for a six hour coach journey.. even our mammoth journey of 31hours in South America only had one! After a quick ferry crossing we hopped on to a shared taxi and ended up at the Sofia Garden Resort. It has totally lived up to it’s description and we immediately fell in love.

That was five days ago, we think. The days are blurring in to each other and we’ve become so relaxed that even playing backgammon has become a civilised affair. We spend our days eating good quality food (and giving each meal a critique), swimming in our pool (I say ‘our’ because we have yet to share it with more than one person) and mooching around the local area.

We hired mopeds one day to do a bit of exploring. After a few practice turns around the hotel and feeling grateful that the Thais drive on the same side of the road as us (even though neither of us have been behind the wheel for eight months) we set off on a mini adventure.

We visited a few other beaches and a small fishing village, Bang Bao, which is built on stilts in the sea. You can hire wooden huts for £5 - the idea of jumping from your bed in to the sea is very appealing. Unfortunately, ever since seeing the sea through the toilet in Utila, we are a little more aware of where things go. In fact it reminded us of one trainee dive master who had been told what to do if he saw brown things floating near to the newbie try divers.

The weather is a bit mental because it’s coming to the end of the monsoon season. You still get the super hot sun each day, but you also get the exciting lightening storms which have the deepest rolling thunder. At times like that the only thing to do is crack open a bottle of Sang Som rum and have a backgammon off. Hard days.

We’re coming up with a plan, slowly, for the rest of our time in SE Asia. ‘Slowly’ pretty much describes our life at the moment.

Big peaceful kisses and love coming your way.

S&S

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Nice bed..Nice bed..Nice bed..

but with the threat of cockroaches the hammock/bed check is back in full force.


PS If anyone is up for a holiday, we highly recommend it. You could be here in two days!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Normal toiletNormal toilet
Normal toilet

..except paper in the bin and flush using the bucket on the left.
Service station food.Service station food.
Service station food.

Delicious and just over a pound.
A Koh Chang taxiA Koh Chang taxi
A Koh Chang taxi

This driver was sure that he could fit us and our bags on with everyone else. He was right.
A beautiful backdropA beautiful backdrop
A beautiful backdrop

whilst doing lengths
Koh Chang petrol stationKoh Chang petrol station
Koh Chang petrol station

You can also by your fuel by the whiskey bottle from the side of the road.


2nd October 2010

wet wet wet
Super island and love the weather report! Have you thought of changing profession!?! xxxxxxxxxxx
2nd October 2010

You are obviously so happy. I hope all your plans materialise into something you will be pleased with. Thank you for your emails. Keep safeand lots of love, Joan.
3rd October 2010

Reporting..
I think I missed my calling :) xxx
3rd October 2010

Thanks Joan.
Still no news. I'll keep on it though. xx

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb