Khao Yai National Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Khao Yai NP
November 14th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

To get to Khoa Yai we took a bus from Pak Chong. By the time we arrived it was pitch black but we were still hopeful to successfully get in and pitch a tent for the night.

If you arrive at the national park by foot the only way to get into the park is to hitch hike at the entrance, as the campsite is a further 20km away. We were lucky, after waiting for approximately 1minute some park rangers arrived and gave us a lift the first 16km to the main reception. For the remaining 4km from the reception to the campsite we managed to catch a lift with a group of young Thai people. They were having a great time as they pulled over to pick us up, they were laughing as their pick-up truck was already loaded to the top, with 2 of them riding in the truck part with their luggage. They seemed delighted at the opportunity to squeeze in another 2 so we quickly chucked on our bags and jumped in the truck part too.

At the campsite we got an opportunity to repay the favour as we had quickly worked out how to put up the tent we were able to help them with theirs. In return they asked if we would like anything from the market as they were driving down, but we were ok as loaded up with food prior to entry!

Khoa Yai is massive, but the next day we set out by foot to see if we could see some of the sights (hopefully elephants as they have 60 in the park). We quickly get lost trying to find elephant point, but this works out well as we are picked up by a couple of Germans who have hired a pick up truck. We go to the reception to get a better map and on the advice of the Germans (Valentine and Anna) we buy some leech protectors for our legs! Valentine and Anna kindly ask if we would like to go round with for the day and we accept, so we hop back in the pick up to drive to a collection of 3 waterfalls whilst listening to Ramstein (what else would Germans be playing)

As we venture into the jungle we see plenty of wild life (see photos attached) although sadly no elephants. After the first jungle adventure we go to the point labeled elephant point as the name holds a little more promise for elephant spotting, however on our way in we our discussing which turning to take when suddenly spot an enormous snake (possible 2m) after taking photos of it we realize that the idea of what wildlife might actually be in this part of the park spooks us. We ponder ways of how to cope with conflicts different animals, raising the question of if you climbed up a tree to escape a lion or tiger then jumped off the tree, would it jump off too or as a form of cat would it get stuck? And are there jungles full of lions and tigers that are stuck in trees? Anyway we decide not to find out and leave that particular section of jungle.

We camp for one more night then leave the next day to island of Koh Chang


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb