An Ode to Thai Park Rangers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Khao Yai NP
December 15th 2006
Published: December 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Thursday - An Ode to Thai Park Rangers
Man, I love these guys. Why?
1) They protect wildlife from poachers with very little pay.
2) They can cook.
3) They can sing.
4) They set up tents.
5) They carry things.
6) They have guns and we’re in the forest with some potentially big and scary animals in addition to poachers who have guns.
7) They write their own songs about the national park (and they even have one about their own substation!)
8) Even though they said that “farang” (that’s us white foreigners) can’t squat like Thais because we have large bottoms, I don’t think they meant to be mean.

Men, one of the young rangers with us, wears an enormous necklace from the monks - he told us through Kanda that he wears it under his camo jacket to protect him from the bullets of poachers. The dangers these guys face is very real. Recently one ranger contracted malaria, while others have had snake bites and other wildlife injuries. The danger they’re in from poachers is very serious. One ranger was shot by a poacher’s trap last year and nearly had to have his leg amputated.

They do all this for less than $100 US a month. It really puts things in perspective when I think of the 250 rangers serving in Khao Yai. Most of them have few opportunities due to low education, and the job is very low status. This is just a big thank you to all of them for the crucial work they do!

Advertisement



19th December 2006

The rangers sound great
Bring home one will you please? I am tired of all the tote--ing and grunt work that I do. Car battery died Saturday..and once prior to that a couple days ago.. and the computer has been a nightmare...3 hours here and three hours there getting on line... Hencefore we are altapete1@msn.com

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb