Ayutthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
February 10th 2010
Published: April 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wat Phu Khao ThongWat Phu Khao ThongWat Phu Khao Thong

"Golden Mount"
Although Melissa and I have never been big fans of the package tour, we chose the easy route and booked a day trip to Ayuthaya with our hotel for 850 baht each. The day began pretty early with a minibus pickup, then to a meeting point to meet up with the other passengers. Our van was full of a younger Japanese couple and their friend, a Japanese family of 4, 2 girls from Malaysia, and another couple from somewhere in Europe. No details required, but we once again found that some Japanese people really can be quite rude.
Ayutthaya was the capital city of Thailand from 1350 to 1767, when it was basically destroyed by the invading Burmese army. The remaining Ayutthaya historical park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1976 and contains some amazing old temples and complexes.
We spent the day going from site to site, where the guide would give us a 5 or 10 minute introduction, then we had time to wander around on our own. Overall it was a much better organized tour than some of the other's we've done, as there was enough time at the sites, and no side trips to tourist shops.
At one of the ruins, we were approached by a group of younger Thai tourists, where one of the girls wanted to have her picture taken with us. Finally being an overweight, pasty white Canadian has brought me some fame...
Maybe the most interesting part of the day was when we stopped at another new type of bathroom for Melissa. Its the western style toilet (no squat), but there's nowhere to actually press a button to flush, just a bucket of water and scoop beside you. I thought it was pretty entertaining when she came out of the bathroom and quietly asked me what was supposed to happen. So for those that don't know, you take the bucket, scoop some water and dump into into the toilet bowl.
After the tour finished, we headed back into Bangkok and were supposed to get dropped off at the hotel. Well we couldn't quite convey to the driver that we were staying at the Lamphu Tree House, and not the Lamphu Tree hotel, which is located right by Khao San road. We gave up trying, and just got off on Khao San road and walked back to the hotel for a little rest and quick beer up on the roof. For supper, we headed back to our favorite restaurant on Khao San, and Melissa had some time to fit in a little last minute shopping before we left in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wat Phu Khao ThongWat Phu Khao Thong
Wat Phu Khao Thong

AT 10am, it was already too hot for the dogs
Wat Phu Khao ThongWat Phu Khao Thong
Wat Phu Khao Thong

My favorite, the fat Buddha
AyutthayaAyutthaya
Ayutthaya

Our guide giving his spiel on arrival at a site
Wat Yai Chaya MongkhonWat Yai Chaya Mongkhon
Wat Yai Chaya Mongkhon

The enormous chedi is about 60m tall
Wat Yai Chaya MongkhonWat Yai Chaya Mongkhon
Wat Yai Chaya Mongkhon

Climbing up the chedi
Wat Yai Chaya MongkhonWat Yai Chaya Mongkhon
Wat Yai Chaya Mongkhon

View from the top
Wat Yai Chaya MongkhonWat Yai Chaya Mongkhon
Wat Yai Chaya Mongkhon

For some reason, the temple grounds has roosters all over the place
Wat MahathatWat Mahathat
Wat Mahathat

When the Burmese destroyed the city, they also destroyed Buddha images
Wat MahathatWat Mahathat
Wat Mahathat

The roots of the tree have grown around the Buddha head


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb