History Lesson!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
September 27th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a long 9 hour train journey with some interesting jungle views and playing peek a boo with a little boy who kept peeking between the seats we arrived in Ayutthaya, and after our first day here we are feeling very cultured!!

On arrival we got in a tuk tuk where we thought the driver knew where he was taking us but after Zoe spotted our hostel we had to get his attention to turn around and eventually he understood where we wanted, not alot of people speak much English here as in other places we have been to, apart from the nice lady in the hostel who is very helpful, shes even booked us our bus tickets for our next detination when we leave here already!!

We headed out early in the direction of the tourist information in search of a map of the town and realised that it is actually all quite close together. We wondered around the main ancient part of the city, once the capital of Thailand but now ruins.

Our first stop was out of excitement when we saw some elephants walking along the road which led us to an area where they put on a show we stopped and watched the elephants dancing and doing handstands, which although funny was a little sad. After we both had our pictures taken with them and one gave Leanne a kiss!

Moving on we went around some of the ruins, Leanne armed with the camera today means we have over 100 photos of just today!! It was really interesting to learn some of the history of the place. After strolling around a couple of markets we ended up by the river where we decided to see the city from the water for a relaxing 1 hour boat ride around the city.

After a 7 hour day of constant walking we've headed back to the hostel to freshen up and are now ready to watch the football with a beer!!

Looking forward to taking in some more culture tomorrow when we head out to the other side of the river!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb