Ayutthaya: Part 2. The Photos!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
August 17th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Enjoy😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Back to Ayutthaya.Back to Ayutthaya.
Back to Ayutthaya.

From inside Wat Kasattrathirat Vorawihan, just outside of the "island" of Ayutthaya.
Monk Masters and Mini Monks.Monk Masters and Mini Monks.
Monk Masters and Mini Monks.

A photo of several monks in the monastery of the wat we visited. (Kasatt....)
To distract from the cloudy skies.To distract from the cloudy skies.
To distract from the cloudy skies.

cloudy skies, lush gardens. cooler afternoons (greatly appreciated!)
We were here!We were here!
We were here!

glowing with travel-happiness.
View from the river.View from the river.
View from the river.

This wat was just off the Pa-sak river at Ayutthaya.
Dave showing the incredible size of this wat.Dave showing the incredible size of this wat.
Dave showing the incredible size of this wat.

Apparently the Khmer influence is apparent in this tower/prang. Wat Chaiwatthanaram. Incredible.
Wat Phra Si San Phet.Wat Phra Si San Phet.
Wat Phra Si San Phet.

The royal chapel built by King Narai the Great.
Stone Buddha.Stone Buddha.
Stone Buddha.

and his assistant.
Layers of Buddhism.Layers of Buddhism.
Layers of Buddhism.

cameras cannot capture this accurately.
Don't Steal This Buddha Head.Don't Steal This Buddha Head.
Don't Steal This Buddha Head.

unless you're an artifact dealer. like the guy in that Thai warrior movie - Ong Bak! SO good! Dave and I watched it in Sukhothai, sadly, without subtitles. I'll have to return to the states to watch a Thai movie and understand it fully.
The King Calendar.The King Calendar.
The King Calendar.

not the swimsuit edition, thankfully. The king calendar can be spotted on the walls of most Thai convenient stores, DVD rentals, and museum ticket offices.
Buddha for Toddlers.Buddha for Toddlers.
Buddha for Toddlers.

Rolling around beneath the golden upright Buddha at a wat. Just another day, feeding the monks, holding the incense and giggling with fellow ankle-biters.
The mum moment.The mum moment.
The mum moment.

BEAUTIFUL! unearthly! here's your blog-ly photo mum.
Only a foot tall.Only a foot tall.
Only a foot tall.

Dave commented as he snapped the photo. What a knee slapper.
Dave and ruins.Dave and ruins.
Dave and ruins.

Ruins and Dave.
Roti Saimai (Say-may)Roti Saimai (Say-may)
Roti Saimai (Say-may)

tastes like cotton candy, but feels like hair until it touches your tongue and begins to dissolve. Wrap it in the roti (thin pancake) so that it doesn't get on your hands. The pancake also helps to calm down the sugary sweetness. It was first made in Ayutthaya, and you can find Roti Saimai stands every half mile on the main drag of the island.
just like hair!just like hair!
just like hair!

quite obsessed with say-may, so I needed to include several photos of it. "yes, yes, yes, the ruins are fun, but this hair-candy is legendary!"
Buddha in Lotus Leaf.Buddha in Lotus Leaf.
Buddha in Lotus Leaf.

In the Thai/Laos culture lecture we attended at our hostel in Laos, the manger told the group of us that Lotus flowers are very common as statues or decoration in wats because they signify the difficult circumstances that a person has to overcome to reach a higher state of being - they have to grow up and out of the mud, and then out of the water to reach the sunlight.
Famously Ayutthaya.Famously Ayutthaya.
Famously Ayutthaya.

Most guides to Ayutthaya have a nicer version of this photo as their cover. Theoretically, thieves were stealing the heads off the statues but were discovered during the night, and one head was dropped near the base of this tree. And since this second capital of Thailand was deserted, the tree had no difficulty claiming the head as its own.


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb