Old School Ayutthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made a short day stop in Ayutthaya on the way to Chiang Mai.

It is a cool little city and more rusticly Asian. We rented bicycles (pink with baskets and bells - sweet!) to tour the old sites. The mid-day sun proved a little much for us white Canadians (especially the little red-head!)

We took a boat along the river canals and biked the rest. It was tough to fit us and our big bicylcles on the wooden boats while ensuring the monks, kids and seniors still could sit down ( as is customary here). The bikes had good bells and white walls but the brakes didn't work so well.

We stumbled across an elephant camp and had to often ride our bikes between the elephant processions to get to the ruins - we felt like annoying, buzzing little flys around the giant elephants.

We had a great day and must have been ~ 30-35 C at high humidity.

Off to Chiang Mai tonight and can't wait for some of the crazy day treks. We are hopping a night train tonight and get there tomorrow morning. Could be a rocky ride as only top bunks were available - we were warned about this as the trains rock back and forth!

All for now!
Lindsey and Scott


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb