Lives in the Lotus Blossom, Chapter 17: Political Correctness is Hiding, Lao-puo the Media Celebrity, Flying Low, Reverend Doug


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Hualien
November 25th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Assembled Dignitaries in Ji AnAssembled Dignitaries in Ji AnAssembled Dignitaries in Ji An

The heads of the Dental Associations for Hualien County and Taitung County were there, along with some officials from the Ministry of Health.
I was very pleased to have signed my new contract for the current school year (August 96 to July 97). One of the contract clauses forbids the promotion of any religion in class, and I think this is a good idea. A year or so back, a devout Christian told me I should ditch all my English texts, and only use the Bible—otherwise my unsaved students will be going to hell. Mind you, from time to time I have wished that the odd one would, but that’s neither here nor there.

You will imagine my astonishment, therefore, when “Christmas” music comes over the PA every morning before school and at lunch hour. Some of it’s your “Jingle Bells" and "Deck the Halls" politically correct “winter festival” music (I’d like to deck the bright spark who came up with that nonsense, instead of stopping at decking the halls). Most of the school music is traditional carols. None of the Chinese families complain about it, and neither do the Aboriginal families because most of them are already Christians anyway.

It seems strange to hear Christmas music under the palm trees when it’s still 20 degrees out, but it sure is nice.
Let 'Er Rip, Lao-puo!Let 'Er Rip, Lao-puo!Let 'Er Rip, Lao-puo!

It was really quite a big deal to have made this change.
I like to sing along as I go about my business. I’m already strange enough—a teacher who can’t read in a country that doesn’t exist—so my singing along is not considered unusual. I even sing “O Come All Ye Faithful” in Latin!

Lao-puo has been on regional radio, and national TV, in connection with her suggestion to the Ministry of Health for bilingual signs at the National Health Insurance establishments. Currently, they are being installed at dental clinics and traditional Chinese Medicine clinics in Hualien and Taidung. She was one of the featured unveilers at a dental clinic in Ji An on Friday morning She sailed bravely through her speech, with the cameras clicking and whirring, and the microphones pushed at her. The dentist at “Dr Shaw Dental Clinic” (whose name isn’t “Shaw” by the way) and his wife invited Lao-puo and me for dinner in the near future—and there is also a coffee invite from the interpreter who lives nearby.

I had to take the car in for a safety inspection Saturday morning—they still have those in Taiwan instead of relying on people’s notion of good citizenship and duty of public safety. There are also "a few"
Even Foreigners Will Now Know that this is a Dental Office.Even Foreigners Will Now Know that this is a Dental Office.Even Foreigners Will Now Know that this is a Dental Office.

Only a minority of the foreigners are native English speakers, by the way.
photo radar tickets we have to pay—I’m begging all Gods that they will be for Lao-puo in the car, because I’ll never hear the end of it if I got them on the motorbike.

It’s now Sunday evening. The identity of the lead foot has been concealed to protect the innocent.

I had a most unusual experience this morning—Reverend Doug. ("Doug" is my real name, for surfers who are reading this). Lao-puo and I sometimes attend the little chapel at Agape House (the alcohol and drug rehab place that our friends Frank and Annie run). Frank is an ordained minister, but I preached the sermon this morning! Were it not for the fact that pride is a deadly sin, I would say that it wasn’t half bad either.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Photo OpPhoto Op
Photo Op

What's the big deal? I can get my picture taken with Lao-puo any time I want!
Archived Hualien Picture from our First VisitArchived Hualien Picture from our First Visit
Archived Hualien Picture from our First Visit

I remember three things about the scene--the little dog took a shine to me, the speedometer didn't work on the rented scooter, and it was perishing cold.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb