Hello world!


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 27th 2006
Published: January 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Apologies to everyone for the delay, the curse of Friday 13th... was upon us!

The project was happily underway and in full swing when along came Friday 13th aarghhh!! In Sri Lanka it was a Poya Day- a full moon celebration, which automatically equals yet another public holiday (we have about 4 of those a week here!) meaning that everything grinds to a halt. So unfortunate timing for EJ to fall ill!

After a visit from the doctor it was decided that a trip to Ruhunu Hospital in Galle was required for immediate intraveinous anitbiotics- oh joy! So we spent Poya in the hospital and celebrated it with the nurses, who kept popping their heads in to have a good gawp at the novelty ill white girl, and the cockroaches!! After a bout of cabin fever from Sophia we decided to discharge ourselves from hospital drip in arm to the cleaner confines of our cabana. A not so swift call to the insurance company soon set the wheels of medicine in motion.

The next morning an emergency evacuation was arranged and an ambulance arrived to whisk us off to a very posh private hospital in Colombo. The ambulance journey was rather unconventional, as are most things here, involving a quick stop off for breakfast in a local cafe with the driver and his mate! Back on the road and this time sirens on we ploughed through Colombo traffic towards the Apollo, which was more like a hotel than a hospital. Ej was admitted for 3 days and the diagnosis was an infection and a block colon, in not so many words-

Madam, you are full of shit

!!

We took a suite, so we had a room with a view, private bathroom and a smelly, uncomfortable sofa-bed for Sophia, and the ultimate luxury of Sky TV, although the novelty of the Oprah Winfrey Show soon wore off! Fortunately by the 18th we were discharged and the adventure continues...

Meanwhile back in Unawatuna:
We have been continuing with the project, some lovely photographs to come on the gallery once we have reduced their size- most internet places here still operate on 31kb dial-up so photos are a bit of a challenge!
We have met a lot of people both local and travellers alike, all of which come with their own special social life. From eating the finest fresh crab on a roof top terrace, to DJ parties on the beach and the latest comedy evening- 'JAYA SRI' Sri Lanka's top Reggae band, for one night only in Hikkaduwa!! We really though the male skin tight crop top look had gone out with Billy Ray Cirus, but oooohhh noooo! Some FINE specimins were out for that event!

We took a lovely boat ride along the coast the other day to Jungle Beach, basically does what it says on the can, a tiny idyllic spot where the sand is white, the sea turquoise and the jungle rolls off the hills straight onto the sand. We took some snorkelling gear and, Ej learnt to overcome the fish phobia! We had some good spots for the Eye-Spy book. Sophia found a turtle, beautiful, she had a fin missing but to watch her swimming about in the wild was fantastic, and Ej spotted an unpuffed puffer fish, along with shoals and shoals of neons, clown fish, angel fish (jealous yet, or shall I carry on!?) etc. etc.!

There is so much to tell you, we shall try to update the rest as soon as we can, can't believe its been 4 weeks already.
Thank you all for your lovely messages and emails, keep them coming its a real treat to receive them.

Much love

Suda nungis (white girls!) x x


Advertisement



27th January 2006

Well at least, EJ learnt the truth about herself. ;-) Great to hear from you as ever, Suda Nungis, keep us inspired!
27th January 2006

Con Artists!!
Here's me thinkin ur roughin it . . feelin sorry for ya . . . and ur lyin in 5* luxury watchin bloomin Oprah!! Anywho . . lovely to read about ur adventures . .keep it comin . . more pics to make us jealous in the office!! Keep it moist Jon "The legend" Jacob :-)
27th January 2006

Greetings from the Pool . ..
Hello Suda nungis, kohomada? So glad you have recovered EJ, and if sleeping on a smelly uncomfortable sofa bed isn't testimony of true friendship sophia I don't know what is.x Sounds like you having a truly amazing time, Stay safe. . . . .Keep Smiling and Stay in touch, aayu-bowan Kerrie.x.x.x
27th January 2006

great news!
good to hear you are better ej it`s been a bit scary at this end with not knowing how you were. we look forward to the pictures. great news on the fish phobia as well. well done. luv mum
27th January 2006

The Big Adventure
Hola Chicas, Glad everything's back on track for you after what sounds like a pretty awful experience. I've never really understood why Friday 13th is so unlucky. In Spain it's Tuesday 13th.... Anyway, it all sounds lush. I hope it's everything you expect and if it's not, that the difference is for the better. I'm looking forward to seeing all your pictures, so keep them coming!!! Take Care Xx

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb