First day in Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 4th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Colombo, Sri Lanka around midnight. From the airport, a group of very nice Sri Lankans from the school drove us in a bus to Kandy. Unfortunately, the drive was in the dark, so we couldn't see much. We will be staying at the Peradeniya University. When we arrived, it turned out we are staying at a guesthouse on the University. It is a big house, we called it a mansion, tucked away in the hills.

I woke up this morning refreshed. I am not experiencing any jet lag so far. We met our chef this morning. His name is Siri and from his details about his cooking experience, I could not wait to taste his cuisine. He is planning to show us a cooking demonstration on cooking curry tonight. For breakfast this morning, we had eggs, toast, sausage and the best tasting papaya I have ever had. It was soooo sweet! We also had fresh squeezed mango juice.

After breakfast, Allegra, Laura, Nora and I decided to go on a hike. We encountered a boy standing on the corner near our house. Allegra tried to talk to him a little bit, but we soon discovered he
Our front yardOur front yardOur front yard

View of our frontyard from the second story window
did not speak english very well. We continued up the trail and the boy followed us. We kept walking up and we wanted to see the view. The boy started to tell us to go higher and soon, he was leading us up the hill. The climb was a bit rough. Indie (the boy) did not seem to have any problems hiking the hill in just flip flops, and I was slipping in my tennis shoes! He took us all the way to the top of the hill on a semi marked trail. It took us about 30-45 minutes to make it to the top. The view was gorgeous. We could see a small village located in the hills. We also saw what looked like a huge mansion across the hill. I could not justify the beauty of the place with words or pictures.

I am running short on time, so I will post pictures later. I hope everyone is well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The "mansion"The "mansion"
The "mansion"

Our home for the next two weeks, Mahakande Galle Bungalow
IndieIndie
Indie

The boy who hiked in flip flops


4th January 2006

Don't feed the monkeys
When you take your little hikes, try not to touch the monkeys. I saw outbreak. (j/k) Hope you have a great time. See you when you get back. Maybe we'll go see if the cute waiter is still working at P.F. Changs. Lotsa love!!!!!
4th January 2006

I am so happy for you girl. Enjoy your trip. Make sure you bring plenty of pictures.
5th January 2006

Hey Somala. Nice to hear your having fun and enjoying the sites. Unlike over here in the bay where it is pouring rain :-( . Can't wait to see the pics. Don't get too dark, LOL.
15th January 2006

Hi Somala
Hey Somala! Glad to hear you're having a great time. Your hike up the hill sounds awesome! Reminds me of the mountain we climbed in Kauai, Hawaii. What a view! Sorry we couldn't go to lunch before you left but glad we plan to when you get back. I can't wait to see all of your photos! Take some good ones. Well, you have lots and lots of fun in order to have great memories of your trip. See U when you get back! Be safe. Irene ( ; > )

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb