Discovering Sri Lanka's Marine Wonders on a Pigeon Island Boat Tour


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
July 14th 2023
Published: July 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Whether you’re a seasoned Sri Lanka traveller who has been to all of the country’s main beaches or are completely new to the island, if you love snorkelling and just being in the sea, a trip to Pigeon Island is an excursion you’ll be sure to appreciate.

Where is Pigeon Island Located?



https://www.ugaescapes.com/junglebeach/leisure/things-to-do/pigeon-island-marine-national-park.html

Located off Sri Lanka’s east coast a short boat ride away from Trincomalee’s Nilaveli Beach, the island is actually a part of what’s known as the Pigeon Island Marine National Park.

It is situated about 8 nautical miles or roughly 20 minutes by boat from the shores of the east coast; with the east coast itself being roughly a 5 or more hour drive from the commercial capital of Colombo (which lies on the country’s west coast). This might sound like quite a drive, but, if you’re already planning on spending time on the east coast (or even if you’re not) it’s worth a visit if you love marine life. A bonus factor is how relatively untouched the east coast beaches are in general, due to their distance from Sri Lanka’s commercial and administrative capitals and main international airport.





https://www.ugaescapes.com/ugabay/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2022/08/Arieal-2.jpg

What’s The Fuss All About?

When you reach Pigeon Island, it’s going to be all about donning your snorkelling or scuba diving gear and plunging straight into the water for a glimpse of Sri Lanka’s rich marine ecosystem.

The island hasn’t been designated a marine park for nothing, so as you can imagine, there are plenty of sea creatures to be seen as you explore the world that lies below the waves.

You can look forward to spotting over 100 different kinds of beautiful coral as well as more than 300 species of reef fish in all their dazzling colours.

Additionally, keep an eye out for other marine species such as reef sharks, sea turtles and various types of rays.

Marine life enthusiasts will be in heaven in the waters that surround the island.

Why is It Called ‘Pigeon Island’?

This rocky island is home to a large colony of rock pigeons, hence its name!

What Does the Boat Tour Entail?

Several tour operators and hotels arrange tours of this marine park. Let’s take the Pigeon Island boat trip with Uga Jungle Beach in Trincomalee as an example. The excursion to Pigeon Island is usually undertaken in the early or mid-morning. The excursion will include activities like snorkelling as well as a quick walk along a nature trail. You will be accompanied during the boat ride and time on the island by a professional naturalist who can answer all your queries about the local wildlife and marine life.

To make the most of your day, consider setting off bright and early around 8.30 am. If you stay at one of Uga Escape’s east coast hotels such as Uga Jungle Beach, for example, it will take you only around a 15-minute car ride to reach Nilaveli Beach. Pigeon Island lies a short boat ride off the coast.

For the entire excursion, you should give yourself around 3.5 to 4 hours, so be prepared to allocate half a day on your east coast travel itinerary for this activity.



https://www.ugaescapes.com/junglebeach/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2022/08/Beach_0005_Curves-1.jpg



https://www.ugaescapes.com/junglebeach/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2022/08/gal-pool-1100x700-2.jpg

Here are some general FAQs that you might find useful:

Will you have to pay an entrance fee? Yes, there is a ticket that needs to be purchased to access the park, however if you are visiting as part of a pre-arranged tour, this might already be included in your package fee.

Will you need to take your own snorkelling gear? You don’t have to - you may rent snorkelling gear at the park for a fee. However, if you’re embarking on this excursion as part of a hotel-arranged tour, snorkelling gear is usually provided for you as part of the experience.

What else should you pack? Comfortable beach attire, bathing suits and rashguards (if needed for snorkelling), flip flops, sunhats and so on.

Also, if you have a waterproof camera, now would be the time to charge it and bring it along to capture some nice marine life shots!

Pro tip: if you’d like to protect your feet while you're in the water or walking along the shores, bring along a pair of water shoes. It will come in handy during your coastal adventures in Sri Lanka.



Ready to set off on a journey of discovery under the sea? Pigeon Island beckons you for a day of adventure underneath the waves!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.574s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb