Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province
July 11th 2017
Published: July 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After two months on the road, we were looking forward to a relaxing couple of weeks in Sri Lanka and an opportunity to recharge the batteries. We started with a brief stay in the capital, Colombo. Having booked what we thought was a double room, we were surprised on arrival to be shown to a capsule (see photo). Relative to India, we found Colombo to be much more calmer and civilized. We had a leisurely stroll down Galle promenade where the locals were out flying kites and enjoying some of the treats from the food stalls. Poor Brad Pitt was devastated to be only stopped once for a photo. The two vegetarians were no where to be found when we stumbled across a TGIFridays on our first night there!!

On to the main event, we took a night train over to Trincomalee on the east coast in pursuit of sandy beaches and blue skies. Covering a distance of 230km, the night train took 9 hours and stopped at every town, village and house along the way!! But for $2 we couldn't complain! We found ourselves a lovely guesthouse in the village of Uppuveli and relished in being able to unpack our bags properly and have access to a kitchen for the first time in two months. It's the little things.

We spent the week at the beach relaxing, reading, swimming and trying our hand at beach volleyball with some locals and other holiday makers. We got the weather we had hoped for. And another ten degrees with it. Suffice to say we sweated buckets and in true Irish style, we enjoyed numerous cups of tea in 35+ degrees which definitely didn't help.

Once the energy levels had climbed up we started checking up the other highlights of Sri Lanka. It took us inland to the mountainous city of Kandy, which is home to many tea plantations and famous for its scenic manmade lake. The higher altitude also gave us a few degrees back which was well received!

Ella was our next stop and our favourite spot on our Sri Lankan adventure. A small town in the Hill Country that provided exceptional views of its valleys and tea plantations from 'Mini Adam's Peak' and 'Ella Rock' hikes. Walking along its railway lines (which is a very popular method for people to get from A to B) we witnessed a train passing by the famous 9 Arch Bridge.

One of the major highlights of Sri Lanka was the food. Every night we dined on the local speciality of Fish Rice and Curry which consists of rice, fish curry and a number of tasty vegetable dishes. Mouth wateringly good.

Anything goes on this small island at the base of India. A goat being driven in the back of a Tuc Tuc to a passenger giving directions to the bus driver in Kandy! A place we definitely loved and a spot to be hit again on our next travelling year!



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nine Arch Bridge, Ella Nine Arch Bridge, Ella
Nine Arch Bridge, Ella

No prizes for guessing how it got its name!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb