Planning the ultimate journey


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Yala
April 8th 2011
Published: April 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kabilittha

In the heart of the National Park of Yala (Zone 4) is a sacred spot known as the Kabilittha temple. There are no human inhabitants in these parts of the dense forest. But the place is full of reptiles, crocodiles, leopards, bears and wild elephants. It will take two days to reach this destination crossing rivers with strong currents and marshy land.

There is a belief that in order to reach this destination one must purify oneself by abstaining from alcohol, meat and fish for at least one month. It is said that if an individual attempts this journey failing to comply with the purification process, the whole group will be obstructed from proceeding. There are known incidents of floods washing away vehicles, attacks by wild animals and the travellers falling ill thereby obstructing the journey. The purification process in Sinhala is known as ‘Pe-venewa’. This journey has been completed by few and far between.

The idea of the purification process is to clear one’s mind of actions of defilement and propagate actions of purity. In ancient philosophy, this process is known as a speedy recovery that helps reverse ones bad karma. Karma, ‘Cause & effect’ bringing about misfortunes/ fortunes of our past actions. In the West we follow retreats seemingly for this reason but the process of abstinence is far more difficult and therefore far more rewarding.

I will attempt this journey on the 30th of April. In the past three years I have followed many silent and closed meditation retreats all based on Tibetan Buddhism, been a vegetarian and a teetotaller for the better part of three years. Without going into too much detail on the rest of the rules let’s just say that I complied. But it is the mind that needs to be purified. Therefore this journey will be a true testament to the state of one’s spiritual ego.

Out of a handful of guides that are able to take me there I selected one with whom I felt a close synergy. His name is Manju. Manju must be a purified bloke as he has attempted this trip eight times since 2010 and been successful all eight times.

In addition I am told that this gentleman is an expert tracker. The skill with which he manoeuvres the four wheel drive vehicles across rivers with the aid of a winch and rope is noteworthy. I have included some pictures of one of his previous journeys to show you what convinced me.
Four people will make this journey. Why? This spiritual journey cannot be achieved by odd numbers. I will employ a cameraman to make a documentary of the film. (So far to find one with no vices seem a challenge) The cameraman, Manju and I will make three. I have yet to come across the fourth incumbent. A pretty blond twenty years younger springs to mind. This hurdle of the purification process does invite strong forces of temptation.

It is my guru’s view that such temptations can be overcome by mantra recitation and meditation—more meditation as I do already engage in a daily routine. I will also attempt a conscientious effort to follow the guidelines that Lama Rinpoche has thought for a period of 21 days. This process is three years long; therefore I will wake up every morning and do this meditation in accordance with the teachings. (Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen practice) I will keep you updated.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb