Diving tour of the South


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
January 29th 2015
Published: January 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Proper Sri Lankan BreakfastProper Sri Lankan BreakfastProper Sri Lankan Breakfast

Red rice, onion sambal and fish curry
So enjoyed a couple of days in Marissa, probably the most tourist orientated place so far. Massive bay, sandy beach stretching all the way, with bars and restaurants lining the sand. Distinctive south east Asia beach feel about it.

Absolutely massive waves crashing onto the beach at all times of the day! Not to be trifled with. Tried diving through one only to be spun around washing machine style. Soon figured out the technique but pretty sketchy either way!

Wandered around the other bays and went to an amazing look out next to a temple. Bit lazy with the picture taking at the mo though. Next time!

Decided to get a move on though and get a very quick bus to Weligama, couple of k's down the road. Managed to jump off at the dive centre, going out in a min so quick change and off we went. No time to worry, already in a boat!

Nice dive though, pretty lame visibility but loads and loads of fish! Good to be back in! Fellow diver recommended Midigama as a cool place to stay, another 4k down the road. So went to check it out. Guide says no need to go unless you surf but nice little place. First proper traveller vibe place. Very cheap sweat box of a room but location and company definitely made up for it. Sitting around watching the waves drinking beers! Hard life!

Another 2 dives the next day, still awful visibility but still hoping to bump into a whale :D Lots of long term residents in the hostel, tempting to stay but decided to get some more diving in, tuktuk to Unawatuna!

Found a room with a view and went straight to the dive shop. Back out again for an afternoon dive! One of the coolest places beach wise so far... Little streets behind the beach, nice local eateries. Kinda reminds me of Bali a long long time ago. Beach its self is slowly disappearing but, good soft stretch of sand at the west end!

Got a 5 dive package and went out to see some of the wrecks... Improving visibility and again loads of fish about. Again a pretty sleepy place, early night's and only the local places to eat open before 8am. Next stop mt. Lavinia for a couple more days wreck diving before my travel buddy arrives! :D


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Peacocks at dawnPeacocks at dawn
Peacocks at dawn

screeching away flying between rooftops
MidigamaMidigama
Midigama

wave watching


29th January 2015

Diving
Glad you've found some good diving(and food]. Enjoying your super pictures - especially the lizard. Keep them coming. Stay safe, N & G.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb