Sri Lanka - The Hill Country & Beaches


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
April 2nd 2008
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nuwara Eliya to Colombo

via Ella, Tnagalla, Mirissa and Unawatuna and Galle

After enjoying the week of luxury with my parents we were back on the more bumpy road again starting with a 2 hour journey in a tuk tuk from Dambulla to Kandy in the midst of a rather large tropical storm, not something I would particularly reccommend to anyone but fun all the same!

We spent a couple more days in The city of Kandy exploring the city centre and its attractions before heading into Sri Lanka's Hill Country, an area filled with tea fields british colonial buildings, waterfalls and lakes.

Our first destination in the area was Nuwara Eliya and to reach the town we had to take a train for 4 hours. This train journey was in itself one of the highlights of our Sri Lanka trip, rolling through green tea fields, past raging waterfalls whilst weaving between towering hills on all sides. A fantastic way to travel.

We spent 4 days in Nuwara Eliya, exploring the areas sights. We walked round the towns Horse racing track went to a great little english style pub and enjoyed several lovely walks around lakes through tea fields and over hills!
After our time in Nuwara Eliya we moved on to the small village of Ella set at the top of a huge valley from where you can see all the way down to the sea 1000m below. Some of the walks in this area were truly amazing with views that seemed to go on forever. Sorry I cant show you any of the pictures at the moment but I've had a problem with transferring them onto computer that should be fixed soon though.
After 3 days here we moved down to the south coast to sample some of Sri Lankas world renowned beaches. We spent 10 days on the beaches, spending time in Tangalle and Unawatuna but the best of the beaches we found was Mirissa.

Mirissa was a gorgeous little bay with white sand and warm green sea and we were treated to fantastic sunsets each evening of our stay. Luckily the weather, which had been awful ever since we arrived in Sri Lanka became sunny and clear the moment we arrived on the south coast and its beaches so sun bathing was possible!

From Unawatuna we also visited the World Heritage listed city of Galle, a beautiful place full of Dutch Colonial architecture and narrow alleyways of shops and cafes. The whole of the old town is set within a hexagonal shaped fort wall which pertrudes into the ocean like a man made pennisula eaning that you get a great view across the ocean from 3 sides of the ancient cities walls.

After our time on the south coast had come to an end it was time for us to leave Sri Lanka. Our next Destination Thailand and the beautiful island of Ko Phi Phi, the setting for the Leonardo Di Caprio movie The Beach. Should be fantastic!

Sorry for the lack of detail in these blogs I am trying to remember things in as much detail as I can!
Photos should be working again soon I promise.

Take Care everyone!

Advertisement



28th April 2008

Comments posted by me earlier was the combined works of gh and dp, while slightly intoxicated at Bullocks birtday party..................................we had to luagh a lot because jb is a bit of a scruge when it comes to heating so laughter was are only way of warmth

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb