Kandy Perehera


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Western Province
August 17th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dalada MaligamaDalada MaligamaDalada Maligama

the temple of the tooth illuminated
From my not-work diary:
August is the month of the spectacular two-week Esaka Kandy Perehera. As the country is now officially at peace, the historic city of Kandy was lit up with the fire crackers and lights of the religious and cultural festival of the Esala Perehra, complete with Kandyian dancing, majestic tuskers and the golden casket bearing the Sacred Tooth relic of the Buddha. The ceremonies include some rites such as the Cutting of the Waters, and echoes of rain storms - all appropriate at this time of the second rice harvest. A young jak tree is planted in each of the four Devales (Temples) dedicated to the four guardian gods:Natha, Vishnu, Kataragama, and the goddess of Pattini. Whatever the story, the final night is a great social occasion. Onlookers line the streets from 10am to get a good place to watch the processions. We had a place booked at the Methodist church, so were able to arrive at 5pm and spent the evening playing games, chatting, eating and finally the perehera began c. 9.30 pm and continued until midnight. We walked home after and arrived back at c 1am.
Here are some pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb