The Boys hit school


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Western Province » Kurunegala
April 30th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Elliot tells his talesElliot tells his talesElliot tells his tales

With Jake listening intently
We were so proud of how the boys went into school, heads held high and smiles on their faces. They were nervous, but had the confidence in themselves to know they would be ok. Learning to overcome nervousness about the unknown and belief in their ability to cope with challenges were two of our hopes and expectations for what Jake and Elliot will get out of the trip.

The principal of the primary school is a Leeds lass, who came out ten years ago and has stayed ever since, now married with Sri Lankan children. She has been gentle, enthusiastic and encouraging, and Elliot says he was OK from the moment she told him there was nothing to worry about. Elliot spends his 3 days a week in grade 3, and Jake has a day with grade 5, and 2 days with grade 4. Their timetables have been carefully put together and they have lots of PE, reading, Art, and a little Buddhism and Sinhalese with a huge variety of different classes.

Nicky and I walked to the school to collect them with a little trepidation, but it proved unnecessary, both boys came out beaming, Jake a little ahead
Jake describes his dayJake describes his dayJake describes his day

Surrounded by new friends and adoring brother
of the pack - I think he was the first out of school which is a first for him. Elliot arrived in the middle of a gaggle of children, with a teacher carrying his Vesak Lantern which he had made with some help in Art. Both of them found lessons great (although Elliot found Sinhalese challenging as the only student for whom it was a foreign language!) Break was harder and Jake in particular struggled with being treated like some sort of pop star. He was surrounded, decided to run off and was then chased, which clearly turned into a game he quite enjoyed. Elliot was a little smarter, and headed to the library where he read in peace!

As a treat for their first day we bought them chocolate milkshakes and took them to a local hotel for a swim for the afternoon. They were happy and we were (as usual) as proud as any parents could be. We bought a 3 month membership for the hotel, which although we were only there for 1 more month was a total bargain and hugely improved the quality of life for the boys.

Their second day was just as good, with the boys leaving us happily at the school gate, and meeting us beaming and brimful of exciting tales afterwards. Elliot as the only one of the three of us to have had any Sinhala lessons has appointed himself teacher and is loving knowing more about something than the rest of us.

They began to plan their assembly on life in Britain for the years that they are in.

Advertisement



6th May 2009

hi jake and elliot your school looks really good, have you made some good friends yet? we are enjoying your travel stories especially the ones about monkeys. We are off to dig the allotment this afternooon with daddy, love to big joe and nic love from lucy and ben
6th May 2009

Re Lucy and Ben
Thanks Lucy and Ben, we have made lots of friends, but their names are very difficult and we can never remember them! Everybody we see, even those we haven't seen before says hello and smiles at us. We are going swimming this afternoon to cool down! Love to Big Jake and Sara and big hugs to both of you
6th May 2009

Well done lads!
Well done Jake and Elliot on your first day at school - that's takes bottle anywhere!!!! Swim and milkshake well deserved!
7th May 2009

Re Well done lads
Cheers Chaz - take it that includes me and my first day too!

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb