Twin Ponds


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Abhayagiriya
January 18th 2011
Published: February 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Twin PondsTwin PondsTwin Ponds

These two ponds date back the 8th or 9th Century and were constructed for Bhikkhus of the Abhayagiriya monastery to take their ablutions. Another theory is that these ponds might have been used by the Kings, as the Royal Palace nearby has no bathing pond in its premises. Water was supplied to these ponds from the nearby Tanks, and passed through a complex de-silting and purifying process before reaching the ponds.
After lunch since we had about two hours before meeting Rev. Pannasinghe, Kingsley agreed to show me some rare sights that tourists hardly visit. One was to be the twin ponds in which the monks in the ancient times took rest and bathed. The water is collected naturally from some openings to the mountain brooks and rain. The ponds were green with algae and there was a resident tortoise Sun bathing. (The photo attached) One might wonder why such large and spacious spas were used by laity to whom Lord Buddha preached temperance and compassion.

These holy grounds were built by the then King Akbo I and others as a result of Buddhism being introduced to Sri Lanka by Mahinda Thera. This introduction caused Buddhism to be taken by storm and Abhayagiriya was a training ground for monks who took a vow in the path of enlightenment. It is known that nearly two thousand monks entered the path. Since the act of true meditation is not confined to a particular time when one sits in the lotus posture in contemplation, but the practice of being mindful throughout the day is in fact a more effective form of meditation. Therefore it is likely that such beautiful surroundings and spacious spas assisted in the process of being mindful.

Apparently figures of a frog, a tortoise, a crab, a pair of fish, a conch shell and a female form all cast in bronze were found at the bottom of the pond deposited in a metal box specially made for the purpose. It was a ritualistic belief that the deposit of such objects connected with water would ensure that the ponds always remain full. (Abhayagiri Vihara at Anuradhapura by T.G. Kulatunge)


Advertisement



11th February 2011
Twin Ponds

This is the first time i'm seeing water filled in these ponds...could be a rare occasion after many many years!
12th February 2011

Feed Back
Hi Indira, What I have so far written is only the day one. The points you raised will come up later. Re: Rev. Pannasinghe Thera, I got the impression that he is a very private person. So I am not keen to put a personal view point on the web regards him. Just out of respect I guess. But the others will follow soon. The blog has pictures with a short commentary and also separate blogs of writing. What seems like a description of the places are simply the pics I took. The one with the tortoise is the actual story. And more to follow... The critical eye of the reader, especially friends is very much valued. So don’t hesitate. Regards, Laki

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb