#22 Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
September 27th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Sri Lanka!
Our trip here has turned out quite well actually. After a fairly slow start at the beach town of Unawatuna we ended up climbing Adam's Peak or Sri Pada. It was the top of the mountain where Adam, when thrown out of heaven, landed and left his footprint atop a 7500 foot mountain. We started hiking up it at 230 in the morning as the sunrise is supposed to be amaazing. The only thing we saw however was the cloud we were in. Also the 15 kilometer climb has nearly 6000 steps so my legs are still killing me. Also Laura had several leeches stuck to her leg and I had one as well. It was great exercise and the photos that have been produced from this peak are amaazing.

The next day we went to Siguriya, the large rock you will see in the photos. It is 111 meters up and is just in the middle of no where. It was being used thousands of years ago. We did have a great vista from there. We also visited Dambulla and saw more than 100 Buddas in an old cave. The last few days we have just been lounging around Kandy, one of Sri Lanka's old capitals. Tomoro we head back to Colombo for our flight to Delhi. Lets hope the Commonwealth games aren't as bad as the news reports. At any rate, we will try to go to a cricket game or two, after looking up how exactly cricket works..


Additional photos below
Photos: 98, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb